Pop's brine whole chicken .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I've done this once before , but wanted to inject this time . I used 1/2 cup kosher salt , and then 1/2 cup each white and brown sugar . For the 1 gallon water , went with 2 tbls cure 1 this time , because I wanted a faster cure . Pumped , then in the brine 48 hours . Dried in fridge over night . I ended up doing this in the oven ,,, it's a long story . Anyway ,,
All pumped , then in the bucket .
20180119_103642.jpg
I really like the Briner buckets .
20180119_103745.jpg
Dried over night
20180120_134016.jpg
Just black pepper on the skin
20180120_134219.jpg
Out of the oven ran over a little more than I wanted ,
but it didn't matter ,,, Note how dry the cutting
board is .
20180121_175658.jpg
Cut into the leg joint ,,, Perfect !
Really good , so moist . Flavor was great for just the standard brine
and black pepper on the skin .
20180121_181546.jpg
Got another thawing . Going to do Dave's veggie stock injection on that one .

I’ve never cured a chicken. What does it taste like
It taste great . If using Pop's brine , it has a little sweetness to it . Maybe hammy ,,, that depends on how long you leave it in the brine . Try it with some chicken legs and thighs .

Nice job I knew I didn't see a whole Chicken posted yesterday.I have a hard time telling people it is cooked,they see the pink and freak out LOL Definitely nice color Points
Richie

Reactions: chopsaw
Does the breast meat take on much color? I wouldn't think so as less myglobin.

Brining bucket??? what is this product I dont have???
https://shop.thebriner.com/main.sc
I have both the Regular size and the smaller Jr. I use the Jr. all the time , actually have boneless chicken breast in it now . ( Pop's low salt brine )
Haven't use the big one much . I bought it first , then got the smaller one . They work great .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky