Pops Brine - Chicken Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
South Aus
Chicken Wings are one of our Favorites on the BBQ. I thought I would try a batch brined using Pops Brine.

Soaked in brine for about 24 hours. Then fan dried for about an hour. Popped a small amount of rub on some. We prefer without rub really.

They came out very tasty and juicy, could just taste the sweetness of the sugar and no need for any salt after cooked, for some reason the tips got a bit burnt which I think may have been caused by the White sugar, will try all brown next time and also have the Tips facing upwards on the Grill.

I will do it again for the next batch.

wing1.jpg

Wing3.jpg

wing2.jpg

Looks tasty! Could you tell a difference between brined and not? Did they turn pink and hammy?

Oh man! Another round of wings! Yeah, those should taste hammy. Looks like you got some high temp crisp to them too. Points!

Hi Jacam, I found there is definitely a difference in the taste, it added a tiny bit of sweetness and saltiness. I like salt and didn't need any on the wings, my missus isnt a big salt fan but did not find them salty.

I will probably go a bit less with the salt in the brine next time.

Juiciness wise - I found them the same. They were delicious.

I will brine my next lot for sure.

One thing I should have mentioned is I didn't put Cure #1 in the Brine as I was cooking at 325F to get crispy skin so didnt need to add cure..

Does cure add a hammy flavor to chicken normally? I have never used cure with chicken. I might try this next time just to see.

Reactions: jcam222
Yes. Cure adds the ham flavor. Bacon its bacon flavor. Pops has a low salt recipe too

Reactions: Jabiru
Looks good bud . I do alot of wings in Pop's . Really good . I use both white and dark sugar in mine . I even inject them . Love that crunchy tip , and the sweetness . I don't sauce or rub , just black pepper on the skin .
Nice work Jab .

Very nice.
I cut the tip and us it when making my stock/broth.
I always reduce the salt measurement by half when using a new recipe. Many people use coarse Kosher salt in their recipe and omit that detail. I use canning salt which is about double the sodium load to many Kosher salts when compared teaspoon to teaspoon.

Nice wings!

I'm with Chop, I like a combination of both white and brown sugar.

I almost always use a 6% by weight brine then add flavor enhancers....It doesn't over whelm with salt.

edit, ps yes I use a food scale...the wife uses it to make biscuits (& baking stuff) so I get to borrow it if I ask nicely.

Reactions: eddiememphis
...I almost always use a 6% by weight brine then add flavor enhancers....It doesn't over whelm with salt.

edit, ps yes I use a food scale...

Salt should be added by weight, not volume, unless the type of salt is noted. A cup of table salt is much denser than a cup of Kosher salt.

There are conversion tables online.

Thanks for the tips guys, next time they should be even better.

Question is: do you add Cure when doing your Brined chicken? I dont want the chicken to be like bacon tho?

I will definitely weigh the Salt next time. I only have Sea Salt where I live but will order some Kosher online.

Cant wait to try a spatchcock chook with Pops Brine.

Thanks for the tips guys, next time they should be even better.

Question is: do you add Cure when doing your Brined chicken? I dont want the chicken to be like bacon tho?

I will definitely weigh the Salt next time. I only have Sea Salt where I live but will order some Kosher online.

Cant wait to try a spatchcock chook with Pops Brine.

I don't use cure in my brines as I only brine for taste and moisture and not curing. I use 1gal + 1cup water to 1/2lb salt. This makes a 6.3% brine. Sea Salt is just fine (no need to order kosher, any "salt by weight" will work, just don't use iodized salt). I usually brine bird parts 4-8 hours, whole birds 12-18 hrs and whole turkeys 18-32 hours. I also like to add both white and brown sugar and other flavor enhancers. After brining I rinse it rubbing the surface to remove the brine liquid, dry it and dry season it (NO salt). Then I let it air dry on a rack in the garage fridge uncovered for at least an hour but prefer about 3-4 hours.

My only advice on cure recipes is to use a trusted one and follow it EXACTLY!

Reactions: Jabiru
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky