Polish Sausage in 9 hrs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There are hundreds of Smoked Sausage recipes here that start at 130, no smoke first hour to dry the casing, and bump 10° an hour to 170, to get to an IT of 150. Starting at a higher temp than 75° for 2 hours will not hurt and with No Cure Sausage is darn good Insurance Policy!

I think this might be a safer way to do it. I guess the real question is at what maximum smoker temperature I am not going to get water condensate on a 40f sausage. Also I was wondering why would you start at 130 no smoke drying phase if you could do 130 with the smoke. Will smoke somehow negatively affect the drying process?

Just curious...Does you wife know

She does. It's not the nitrite itself but red#5 coloring that she thinks she's allergic to. Since her allergy/asthma she only trying to eat organic food and it seems to help.
Thank you for the article though, I learned a few things.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The initial No Smoke drying, 120 to 130°F, keeps the sausage looking pretty. Adding Smoke at this first stage will not hurt but you risk Streaking as smoke mixes with surface condensation. Condensation is going to happen, even taking 36°F, refer cold sausage, and warming in 75 to 80°F room temp air, unless the RH is low, <50%, in Colorado. Condensation will not hurt the sausage, except for above, and nothing to worry about. The time at low temps with No added Cure can be MUCH more of an issue.

There is another No Dye Cure option, Morton Tender Quick. It replaces the Salt in your recipe at a rate of 6.5g per pound of meat and fat. So 26g TQ in this case. The only possible issue, TQ contains some Sugar, about 5g in this case. Would this be an issue? A little additional Salt may be needed for your taste as TQ is only 79% Salt, 20% Sugar, 0.5% Nitrite and 0.5% Nitrate....JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
The initial No Smoke drying, 120 to 130°F, keeps the sausage looking pretty. Adding Smoke at this first stage will not hurt but you risk Streaking as smoke mixes with surface condensation. Condensation is going to happen, even taking 36°F, refer cold sausage, and warming in 75 to 80°F room temp air, unless the RH is low, <50%, in Colorado. Condensation will not hurt the sausage, except for above, and nothing to worry about. The time at low temps with No added Cure can be MUCH more of an issue.

There is another No Dye Cure option, Morton Tender Quick. It replaces the Salt in your recipe at a rate of 6.5g per pound of meat and fat. So 26g TQ in this case. The only possible issue, TQ contains some Sugar, about 5g in this case. Would this be an issue? A little additional Salt may be needed for your taste as TQ is only 79% Salt, 20% Sugar, 0.5% Nitrite and 0.5% Nitrate....JJ

All are great ideas! I am going to have to rework the recipe. I've never used TQ. Is it as effective as Cure#1? If so then I can afford room temperature drying. I wouldn't push it but feel much better knowing that the sausage is safe. Sugar is not an issue. What would you recommend as finishing temperature?

TQ has been around a long time and is effective and safe to use. It will allow you to air dry at room temp as long as you wish, your 2 hours or a bit longer. I take Kielbasa to a final IT of 150...JJ

TQ has been around a long time and is effective and safe to use. It will allow you to air dry at room temp as long as you wish, your 2 hours or a bit longer. I take Kielbasa to a final IT of 150...JJ

I am trying to separate smoking time and internal temperature requirements. Smoking until the product reaches a nice color. SV to achieve the internal temperature. I feel this method gives me better control.

With the addition of Cure #1 or TQ, you can smoke at anywhere from Ambient to 170°F for as long as ypu desire. Smoke at 70°F for 10-15 hours, no problem!
How and When you get the IT to 150-155°F, Smoker, Oven, Hot Water Bath, SV, is totally up to you , as long as you get there...JJ

With the addition of Cure #1 or TQ, you can smoke at anywhere from Ambient to 170°F for as long as ypu desire. Smoke at 70°F for 10-15 hours, no problem!
How and When you get the IT to 150-155°F, Smoker, Oven, Hot Water Bath, SV, is totally up to you , as long as you get there...JJ
JJ, I really appreciate you sharing your experience. My next tester batch is already in the refrigerator! Can't wait to see the outcome.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky