Pneumonia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan Maples

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
Went to the hospital with pneumonia last week. The pneumonia and 44 years of smoking did a number on my lungs. I have also been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. If you're smoking thinking that you have more time, that's what I thought. It can catch up to you Suddenly.

Reactions: JLeonard
Went to the hospital with pneumonia last week. The pneumonia and 44 years of smoking did a number on my lungs. I have also been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. If you're smoking thinking that you have more time, that's what I thought. It can catch up to you Suddenly.
Sorry to hear this. Prayers that they can help strengthen your heart and lungs.

Wow, that's not good to hear, but you can overcome this.
Did quit the bad habit 11.5 yrs ago.
Prayers for full recovery :emoji_pray:

Alan, I sincerely hope you can kick that habit and good health returns. You can do it man, Chantix can help. It's been thirteen years since I had a cigarette after thirty five years of smoking. My brother that's two years older than me is dying of lung cancer and is in Hospice care. I am so glad I quit when I did.

Alan, I sincerely hope you can kick that habit and good health returns. You can do it man, Chantix can help. It's been thirteen years since I had a cigarette after thirty five years of smoking. My brother that's two years older than me is dying of lung cancer and is in Hospice care. I am so glad I quit when I did.
I have quit using a vape to ditch the cigarettes. Later on, I'll quit the vape.

Reactions: Colin1230
Hope you manage to get that crap out of your lungs, it can really hold on!
And it really leaves you easily winded/ short of breath for months afterwards.
Sucks about the CHF, don't know much on that one, but I hope you can maintain some semblance of normality and that it doesn't progress too fast.

I smoked cigarettes and weed from ages 10 to 27, also smoked cigars for several years.
I managed to quit for my skydiving, better than getting hypoxic at only 10k.
But it was too late, the damage had been done, I'd already had one bout with pneumonia and have suffered three more time with it, it'll most likely be what does me in.
Probably one of the key factors in my adult onset asthma too.
Haven't smoked or drank anything in 27 years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryHibbert
Hope you get better bud.........word of advice about the vaping.......me and Emily both "quit" smoking cigs using a vape. What's crazy is we found ourselves wildly addicted to the vapes very fast. They have a ton more nicotine than cigs. Soon we were constantly hitting the vapes never leaving our hands. Vaping landed Emily in the hospital with nicotine overdose. We gave them up after that and was much worse than the cig withdrawal........hope you'll give it up soon. They are terrible for your health

After smoking for over 55 years my wife and I quit cigarettes a few months back, it was time. No patches, gum, or vaping, just quit and don't buy the things anymore. The first couple weeks are a little rocky, then the urge fades fast into nothingness. When one stops to think about it logically, quitting cigarettes won't kill you, but continuing to do so just might. Good luck in your recovery, stay vigilant! RAY

As mentioned, Chantix was my method of quitting. Absolutely no urge to smoke when on it for awhile. Occasional piece of nicorette the 1st week

Please take the nicotine out of your vape juice. It'll make it twice as hard to quit as tobacco.
My method of quitting was having a stroke last year. Luckily it was very mild! My last cigarette was 3/5/21 right before my wife took me to the ER. LoL

Not like college, and it sure made a major difference in my quality of life! Wish they would just legalize it. A lot of people could benefit from it. Just my humble opinion.
Al
There setting up stores in Vermont as I type Al. I think we have four currently, and private residents can have 3 mature plants per household.

Chris

Never smoked tobacco. Like Al, some wacky weed on occasion in HS and uni. My parents both chain-smoked in the house and car until I was 16. I had to suffer through bronchitis once or twice each year and an occasional bout of pneumonia for decades. If you smoke and have kids at home, it can impact their health, too. It did mine.

BTW, I only have personal experience, but once I started taking a liquid Vitamin D caplet daily about ten years ago, the bouts with bronchitis virtually disappeared. So much so that three years ago I stopped taking the daily dose. Now, I only take a Vit D if I feel a cold coming on. The familiar path was cold or flu, advancing to bronchitis, then pneumonia on rare occasions. I always keep some Vit D on hand. Research has shown it boosts the immune system and fights respiratory illnesses. I just use the Costco stuff.

Wish the best of luck on your recovery! You can quit the cigs if you really want to...but your heart and mind have to be there as well. Quit cold turkey a year and a half ago after about 30 years. I can't believe how bad I smelled when I smoked...but am happy I did!

Ryan

Wish the best of luck on your recovery! You can quit the cigs if you really want to...but your heart and mind have to be there as well. Quit cold turkey a year and a half ago after about 30 years. I can't believe how bad I smelled when I smoked...but am happy I did!

Ryan
Smells gross lol. I don't judge about it but damn lol. When we quit we washed all the clean clothes and linens in the house and we didn't even smoke in the house

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky