Plz help mes is useless

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Slipshot

Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
So my control panel went out on my 20070215 and just my luck the part is discontinued. However I found the same exact controller on a newer model smoker but it says it does not cross over in somebody tell me if this is just a scam to get you to buy new or should actually does crossover. I have attached to thumbnails when is the new part that says it doesn't cross over the other is the part that has discontinued.I'll take any fixes if given doesn't need to look pretty I just want it to work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200703-162844.png
    Screenshot_20200703-162844.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20200703-162454.png
    Screenshot_20200703-162454.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 18
How long do you have that MES?
If it's not long, they should be able to help you at Masterbuilt.

If it's too long, most people would recommend you get a PID for your MES, and end up with a much better Smoker. Here's my GoTo guy on this tallbm tallbm .
My putting that link here should bring him to you, to give you a hand.

Bear

Reactions: tallbm
This would be a great time to switch to a PID controller like the Auber.It"ll cost you but you'll get temp control of +/- 1 or 2 degrees of set temp.tallbm has a great rewiring guide on how to do so.When my stock controller finally goes this is what I'll be doing.

I will have to look to a pid. Lucky I got my Bluetooth to link so can use it that way. I had to take a torch to the back of the circuit board and reheated all the solder points. I will start saving for a pid. Do you think there is decent vids on YouTube for the conversion

I will have to look to a pid. Lucky I got my Bluetooth to link so can use it that way. I had to take a torch to the back of the circuit board and reheated all the solder points. I will start saving for a pid. Do you think there is decent vids on YouTube for the conversion

That guy I put the call to tallbm tallbm should be showing up here. Just keep an eye on this thread, and hook up with him. He'll take care of you. He's a Good Guy!!

Bear

Reactions: tallbm and Slipshot
It’s very easy to do the wiring mods to accept the Auber PID ... essentially you are just bypassing the controller, so when plugged in, it is ON ... then it’s just plugged into the Auber ... about $150 ... not insignificant, but not horrible (all relative I know) ... but you will love your smoking life with that.

Hi there and welcome!
I don't believe there are any videos on it. You can check out my post here, it has lots of pictures and details.

In short you unhook 4 wire ends. Cut off the ends and splice together proper wire ends to make 2 wires and that is it!
At that point it is how Inscrutable Inscrutable mentions. The plug will feed power directly to the heating element (with the safety switch still in the mix).
With the Auber PID you throw the temp prob into the MES to measure temp. You plug the MES into the Auber PID and plug the Auber PID into the wall.
You punch in a set temp and the Auber PID will cut power on/off to reach and hold the set temp and will do so within 1-2 degrees of your set temp!

You will have a smoker that is 100x better than when the MES was working brand new :D
FYI, You will need to use an AMNPS tray or tube and chip feeding will no longer work for you since the element isnt held on and swinging temps anymore.... This usually isnt an issue since most MES users do that anyhow :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky