Pleased to Meet You

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goatbiker

Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I've been grilling for many years on a Kingsford egg-shaped grill, which was retired just last night with a ceremonial last batch of ribs. The fire grate had turned to dust and the unit is no longer made.  Gave us a good run for 20 years, though.

After far too many recent evenings and late nights reading 'Meathead' Goldwyn's excellent Amazing Ribs website, I am replacing the 'egg' with the perhaps-not-too-highly-respected Masterbuilt 7 in 1 gas/charcoal smoker.  I have not truly settled on gas or charcoal, and I hope this 'starter' unit will let me experience both.  I also have hopes of starting large pieces of meat on the charcoal, with lots of smoke, and finishing the long run with gas (did I mention that I am way too tired of feeding briquettes into a cooker, trying to chase a moving temperature?).

Though the cooker isn't a high end piece of hardware, I have ordered the Maverick 733 dual-probe temp gauge, and their quick-read handheld. Finishing off the list of hopefully cool stuff is the Pitmaster IQ fan unit, to hold the charcoal at a steady temp. It gets ordered in two days when the smoker arrives and I can determine which connection will work best.

I figure if the smoker is a bust, I'll still have good tools for the next one.  About the only consistent complaint I have read about the 7 in 1, is that it is made with thin metal and doesn't last.  Cabela's sells the unit in stainless steel, so if I love it, I can upgrade and have it forever.

I am looking forward to learning tons about smoking, and making real BBQ.

And, if all the stuff I have ordered is totally wrong, please let me down easy.  I'm still kind of dopey from the late nights.

About my moniker:   Goatbiking. "It's not the size of the hills you climb, it's what you smell like when you're done". So sez my wife.

Welcome Goatbiker!!!!  The Masterbuilt 7 gets great reviews, the 733 is the latest from the very dependable Maverick lineup, and the Pitmaster IQ fan is a very useful accessory to free up smoker tending time.  You'll have that smoker figured out in no time flat!  And should you have any questions, there's lots of folks here with plenty of answers.  Whatcha gonna smoke first?

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to SMF Goat and were glad to have you aboard so join in, share your experiences, have some fun and don’t forget to post our favorite………

The Q-veiw

Happy smoking

Joe

Thank you all, for the warm (and smokey) welcome.

Noboundaries, I plan to do ribs again, a smooth transition from one unit to the next. I'm still saying my goodbyes to the Kingsford.

Am I the only one here who treats mechanical devices as if they had spirits (thanking the grill, van, car, bike, etc. for all the good work they do (and all the sticky situations they bail me out of when they should just say, nooooo, and die right there on the spot)?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky