Please help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bcox321

Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Louisiana
I'm new to making sausage. I've done 2 small batches now and I was happy with the taste and really happy with the cook. I liked the color an taste but the texture of the meat seems to be off. The meat is sort of lose like like you can almost pull it apart. I thought possible to much fat but I lowered my fat content for the second and still same thing. I'm thinking I'm possible grinding it through to big of a plate? I took pics but I acidently deleted them. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

Mix the meat until it sticks together like it's covered with glue...  Use a Kitchen Aid with the paddle if you have one...  Now, I'm not kidding when I say mix until it sticks together until it's gluey, gummy, like Carolina red clay stuck to your boot...   gum on your shoe on a hot day...   You do that and your sausage will be fine.....

By doing what Dave is explaining, what happens is that the myosin is released. This makes the proteins bind together very well and give you that sausage texture you're looking for.

Yup... I agree.. I always say.. "Mix until your tired of mixing... and then mix some more"... Of coarse the bigger the batch the longer you have to mix...

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the help fellas. I'll post next time I make a batch with the results!

Yeah on what was posted.

Also try not to use to much water, its not good for the sausage.

Yeah on what was posted.

Also try not to use to much water, its not good for the sausage.

Oh great.... know ya tell us... just got done mixing up 30 lbs of pork and 25 lbs of venison... used 3/4 cup of water for each 5 lbs... to much water ??

Oh great.... know ya tell us... just got done mixing up 30 lbs of pork and 25 lbs of venison... used 3/4 cup of water for each 5 lbs... to much water ??
naaaa

your good. i use bout 1/4 to 1/2 cup per 5lbs

If you're using a LEM stuffer you'll need to add 1 gallon of water per pound. At least that's what their customer service people are trained to say!!!

If you're using a LEM stuffer you'll need to add 1 gallon of water per pound. At least that's what their customer service people are trained to say!!!
laugh1.gif

Their CS is located in Punjab.

I used a 1/2 cup Friday afternoon to add the cure to a batch of beef sticks. Next day I mixed in another 1/2 cup just before stuffing and it still took me an hour to put 5# through that 1/2" horn! I believe my Gander Mountain is just a LEM in disguise. That being said, pork shoulder into a larger casing is no problem with little water if any.
I know it's sticky enough when you can't get it off your gloves....

I used a 1/2 cup Friday afternoon to add the cure to a batch of beef sticks. Next day I mixed in another 1/2 cup just before stuffing and it still took me an hour to put 5# through that 1/2" horn! I believe my Gander Mountain is just a LEM in disguise. That being said, pork shoulder into a larger casing is no problem with little water if any.
I know it's sticky enough when you can't get it off your gloves....
Mose, morning...   I had that problem when I forgot to lube the canister and o-ring with lard or Crisco...  That lube really make stuffing easy for me....

Dave

Mose, morning...   I had that problem when I forgot to lube the canister and o-ring with lard or Crisco...  That lube really make stuffing easy for me....

Dave
Hi Dave.
I usually don't bother lubing the can & o-ring because after cleaning I coat everything with food grade silicone for storage and it stays pretty slick and after a couple of cranks the fat in the sausage takes over. This is the first time I've had the issue, but I'll start doing that. I also threw in a bit of high-heat Cheddar for fun. Maybe that was it. This is also the first time I've used "tubed" ground beef also. Oh well, they came out good in the end.
Dan

Some things i do.

Lube O ring with Pam.

I dont store my O ring on the piston while not in use, pressure on the O ring can make a flat spot.

If you buy store GB try to get it where you can see the meat in the package or 10lb chub, sometimes it says 80/20 on the chub but it may be 70/30 and nasty

Some things i do.

Lube O ring with Pam.
I dont store my O ring on the piston while not in use, pressure on the O ring can make a flat spot.

If you buy store GB try to get it where you can see the meat in the package or 10lb chub, sometimes it says 80/20 on the chub but it may be 70/30 and nasty
Once again my laziness got the best of me, nepas. The 88/12 I had didn't thaw fast enough so I picked up a 3# chub and 2 one pounders to make 5# at Meijer. They were labeled 80/20...
I learn at least one lesson a day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky