Please help! Mushy beef snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Paul, evening..... I do sticks and they come out pretty good... I don't run my smoker over 160....
I do the temp raise thing... start at 110 ish... dry the outside of the casings... then add smoke for a few hours until they have the smoke I like... then raise the smoker to 160.... I hold the 160 temp for 24 hours... the fat doesn't melt.... the sticks will dry from the water added.... At 24 hours they are at a temp of about 135-140.... They won't get any warmer due to evaporative cooling from the moisture inside the casing .....
Looking at a pasteurization table, they are very safe to eat... they are not overly dry but I think they are perfect....
As you can note from the USDA chart below, 121 minutes at 130 def. F, will return a 7 log lethality... That leaves only 1 bacteria alive out of every 1,000,000 bacteria in the meat.... I figure after 24 hours at 160, the meat has been at 130 for at least 3-4 hours so more bacteria has been killed.... It's a time at given temp that does them in...
If you have the capability, give this method a try.... you might like it... Dave

I have no idea why the disclaimer of final temp. has been added at the bottom of the chart... All sous vide charts say the meat is safe after the time/temp has been achieved.... Maybe it's an "insurance" disclaimer....

View attachment 387331

Dave, I really like your method and plan to try it. Can I ask you to clarify?

1. If you do, how much water do you add? Say like for 5lbs sticks. I am running a tiny 10mm tube so think I should use some water like 10%.
2. How long is smoke? Guessing like 5-6hrs/2 rows AMNPS
3. STPP or other other binder?
4. Stuff and rest overnight rest?

THANKS

??? 10MM tube ??? are you sure ?? How can you shove meat through that ??

Anywho... Surface area per pound of meat is really high.. Doesn't take a lot of smoke.. Your personal preference ... go for it..
I use no fat in my sticks.. as little as possible anyway... 93/7 at the meat market or grind my own chuck, which is best.. I add STPP at 0.4%... I use 21MM collagen casings... I like NESCO Jerky seasoning or I've used Legg's #116 or Legg's #103 Hot Italian sausage seasoning.. I try different flavors...
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/beef-sticks-21mm-with-leggs-116-money-shot.230920/

......Mix until sticky.......
Sticky ground sausage.JPG DSCF2186.JPG

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks Dave. Yes, sure it is 10mm as I had to order it. No idea if it will work but I sure hope so!

Thanks Dave. Yes, sure it is 10mm as I had to order it. No idea if it will work but I sure hope so!
Right around 3/8 . I would have everything ready for stuffing , then mix and stuff right away . Hold over night in the casings , like you said above .

So... The 10mm tube worked. For the most part. LOL. I couldn't manage it when cranking "up" but a clamp might fix that. Overall not a disaster for the first time using a stuffer I suppose. Unfortunately, had the opposite problem of this thread. Dried out a bunch more than I should have. Might be since I rested overnight uncovered AND Dave's 24hr method. Peeked with a few hours to go and glad I did! Used Owen's hot stick spice and that stuff is HOT and I am reserving judgement on final taste after a week but not really blown away with it. Anyone have any idea what Troyer uses on their sticks? :emoji_laughing:
20190831_183514_resized.jpg

reserving judgement on final taste after a week but not really blown away with it
Give it some time . I did the Owens regular stix . I put them in a brown paper bag and in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks . I like the sticks drier , and the flavor was really good after the long rest . I used sheep casings .
Try some at 1 week . If you still feel the same pull again at 2 weeks .

So the flavor deepens/strengthens over time? Mine seem bland. Don't get me wrong, I am happy they are even edible and even tasty but these are no where near the level of flavor I am used to.

I'm thinking that as they dry out more , the flavor becomes stronger . Mine were way better after they sat that long compared to right after I smoked them .

I find aging the sticks or sausages to be beneficial in most cases. Good flavors seem to meld and intensify while bad ones tend to fade IMO.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky