please critique this recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

laveen1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Laveen, AZ
Just looking for comments about this recipe. I did a 15# ham using this (also injected by the bones), and smoked it. I thought it came out OK, but maybe I was just lucky? It was my first major smoke. (8 hours, final IT 155, next day 350 oven to 175 IT)

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Quote from the internet:

"Home curing a ham is quite safe, but you will need to get a hold of some insta cure #1 (also called pink salt or D.Q. curing salt, among other things). This ready to use curing salt is sold as a pre mixed combination of 93.75% salt and 6.25% nitrite. It is the nitrite that guards against the slim possibility of botulism, and also what gives ham its rosy pink finish. Nitrite in high concentrations is toxic, so measure carefully (but don’t be scared either!!!). You can find this curing salt in better supermarkets and specialty food stores.
[h2]Step 1[/h2]
Buy a fresh ham leg (uncured pork), a half fresh ham, or a piece of fresh ham in whatever size you're comfortable with. I am using the term ham here to refer to the hind leg section of a pig - you must buy fresh, not already cured pork. The size doesn’t matter; buy it as big or small as you are comfortable with.
[h2]Step 2[/h2]
Prepare the brine.

I use a brine recipe from Michael Rhulman's book "Charcuterie" (which is excellent)
  • 2 liters of water
  • ¾ cup of kosher salt
  • 1 cup of brown sugar (1 packed cup)
  • 4 teaspoons of pink salt (insta cure #1) (4 teaspoons)
Stir all ingredients together until dissolved. This brine can be multiplied as needed, and if you are doing a whole ham, you will probably need to double it.
[h2]Step 3[/h2]
Place your pork in a bowl or pot that is large enough to hold the meat completely submerged in the brine, but one small enough to fit in your fridge. Add the cold brine to the pork, and lay a heavy plate on top of the floating meat to keep it submerged.

Keep it in the fridge until done. It will cure at the rate of 2 pounds per day. A large ham will take about a week".

Ham is just one of those things that can cause problems.

As long as you did a good injection on it, kept it cold, left it in the cure the proper amount of time and brought it to safe temperture in a reasonable amount of time you are fine.    The 4 hour rule doesn't apply because you cured the ham, how well the ham is cured is the question

I would recommend our earlier discussion about injecting until 10% increase in body weight with the brine/cure we discussed.

icon_cool.gif

I would pay attention to Al he knows his stuff. Specially on the safety end of things. Now for your recipe it sounds good to me but I'm just a guy that heats stuff up alot.

I would venture a guess that your Ham was a bit Dry and Stringy...175* IT is very well done for a brine cured ham. I have found anything beyond 160* gets a wierd dry texture with 145*F being the hottest I ever go then let it rest 30 minutes or so, the temp will climb to 150ish...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky