Pleasant surprise...only for nose-2-tail enthusiasts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I pulled two bags of beef bones from the freezer for some bone broth. I get these from a farmer. 15 years ago they were large shanks, more meat than bone. You could make osso bucco on them. Slowly there was less meat on them left...lately they are scraped to the...bone. Also small bones...still good enough for broth.

Well surprise surprise: two pieces were cuts from large bones. Full of marrow. Needless to say i roasted those before adding them to the broth pot, so in can harvest the marrow.

This was on of the best lunches i had in a long time. On par with the lamb brain/seeetbreads last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmo4u
Ha ha....they make 1000 year old egg...why not 15 year old bones? Aged beef tastes better. 15 years can only tastes much better than 45 days.[emoji]128514[/emoji]

My OP is quite confusing indeed. I started buying from this farmer 15 years ago. The product has changed a lot since.Good meat but less value for the $. And nose to tail items, originally priced at $1/lb are now specialties. That's what i meant. The bones are only 1 month old.

Last edited:
Ha ha....they make 1000 year old egg...why not 15 year old bones? Aged beef tastes better. 15 years can only tastes much better than 45 days.[emoji]128514[/emoji]

My OP is quite confusing indeed. I started buying from this farmer 15 years ago. The product has changed a lot since.Good meat but less value for the $. And nose to tail items, originally priced at $1/lb are now specialties. That's what i meant. The bones are only 1 month old.

HA! With you, one never knows! I found some deer in the bottom of dad's deep freeze last summer that was from a processor that I know has been out of business for at least 10 years! Nope, didn't try it.

Roasting bones before making stock is the only way to fly! For thT matter, I roast the veggies as well before simmering.

15 year old bones? Now that's interesting!
Hey they supposedly served up Mammoth meat thousands of years old to people at various times/places according to several stories.
Ranging from a prestigious NYC supper for The Explorers Club, prisoners in Russian gulags and native in tribes around the Arctic Circle.
These stories aren't documented true and are contested, but it is true that the meat has been fed to sled dogs.

The only problem I see here is that you used a Ritz instead of a Triscuit or Wasa Rye Krisp... Heresy!

Just kidding, roasted marrow is a lot like roasted garlic, butter that speaks to the soul.
Not Ritz, but some other irrelevant cracker brand. The blander the better. It's only the vehicle, not supposed to interfere with the goodness of marrow.
For that we have wine, or your beverage of choice.

Marrow is on the list for a last meal along with Snails,Frogs Legs and Foie Gras...JJ

Atomic Thank you I remembered I still had some meaty bone Osso Buco is in the oven

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky