Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850 not lighting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmysr123

Original poster
Jun 13, 2021
I have a new 850 and went to do first burn and rod won't light. Any suggestions?

Call for help indeed.
First thing they will ask about, is it plugged in, have you unplugged and plugged it back in?
Can you hear the auger turning and can you see/hear pellets hitting the burn pot, or is the panel not lit up or not responding to inputs?
Did it come complete or did you have to put some of it together?
Are all the wires correctly connected?

Call for help indeed.
First thing they will ask about, is it plugged in, have you unplugged and plugged it back in?
Can you hear the auger turning and can you see/hear pellets hitting the burn pot, or is the panel not lit up or not responding to inputs?
Did it come complete or did you have to put some of it together?
Are all the wires correctly connected?
It came complete. Panel is on, sounds like fan is on. I will call today. They weren’t open yesterday. Thanks. I will update post when I get more information.

JMYSR123,

Unlike some pellet smokers, Pitts & Spitts advises to leave the cooking chamber lid open when starting the cooker. Ensure that the outlet you are plugging into is working properly (if not check your fuse panel), lift the stainless steel lid, and press the power button. You should hear the fan blowing and the auger moving pellets to the burn pot.

If this is your first start, fill the burn pot up 3/4 with pellets by hand to start the initial burn process (this is very important). If the pellets don't ignite after 5 minutes, the problem is in your ignition rod.

Do these things first before calling Pitts & Spitts to eliminate the basics and help to get you smoking much quicker. P.S. I have the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 2000 Pellet cooker.

JMYSR123,

Unlike some pellet smokers, Pitts & Spitts advises to leave the cooking chamber lid open when starting the cooker. Ensure that the outlet you are plugging into is working properly (if not check your fuse panel), lift the stainless steel lid, and press the power button. You should hear the fan blowing and the auger moving pellets to the burn pot.

If this is your first start, fill the burn pot up 3/4 with pellets by hand to start the initial burn process (this is very important). If the pellets don't ignite after 5 minutes, the problem is in your ignition rod.

Do these things first before calling Pitts & Spitts to eliminate the basics and help to get you smoking much quicker. P.S. I have the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 2000 Pellet cooker.
Did all that. Spoke with Pitts and Spitts today. They are sending new rod. Not a way to start out with new grill! They did say they test each one at the factory for 20 minutes. I questioned him, only to be more educated, that after the heating of the rod, does it change colors when it cools, like some steel does by turning bluish. He said that he has never looked at them after running the test. If mine had been tested at the factory, it didn't change any color as it is shiny silver still. We will see.

The rod doesn't change color much at all in my experience. Eventually some pellet ash does discolor it. Did you try a different outlet? GFCI outlets can cause issues/let you know when the ignitor rod is broken.

The rod doesn't change color much at all in my experience. Eventually some pellet ash does discolor it. Did you try a different outlet? GFCI outlets can cause issues/let you know when the ignitor rod is broken.
Got the new rod and installed it. Did not work. Awaiting new circuit board.

Got the new rod and installed it. Did not work. Awaiting new circuit board.
Did you receive the new circuit board yet? I am really surprised that you have had all these problems. The only thing I had to install was the WIFI module in which the cook chamber was pre-drilled. I hope this resolves your problems. You will find that this cooker holds target temperatures spot on.

Did you receive the new circuit board yet? I am really surprised that you have had all these problems. The only thing I had to install was the WIFI module in which the cook chamber was pre-drilled. I hope this resolves your problems. You will find that this cooker holds target temperatures spot on.
Did not receive it. It was supposed to be sent on the 18th. I called on the 24th and they (Coy) said they would send another. From Houston to Weatherford Tx seems to take forever! I called the place I bought it 4 times two weeks ago and still haven’t had a return call.

Did not receive it. It was supposed to be sent on the 18th. I called on the 24th and they (Coy) said they would send another. From Houston to Weatherford Tx seems to take forever! I called the place I bought it 4 times two weeks ago and still haven’t had a return call.
Honestly, if I hadn’t just had a outdoor kitchen custom built for this grill, I would be looking elsewhere.

Honestly, if I hadn’t just had a outdoor kitchen custom built for this grill, I would be looking elsewhere.

I would feel the same way. You say you called the place your bought it from 4 times two weeks ago, so I assume you purchased your cooker from someone who carries the Pitts & Spitts line. I ordered my grill directly from Pitts & Spitts as I am here in NJ. I sure hope P&S does right by you, because the cooker does put out some good BBQ.

I would feel the same way. You say you called the place your bought it from 4 times two weeks ago, so I assume you purchased your cooker from someone who carries the Pitts & Spitts line. I ordered my grill directly from Pitts & Spitts as I am here in NJ. I sure hope P&S does right by you, because the cooker does put out some good BBQ.
Well got the new circuit board and she is up and running. Thank you Coy. Doing first set of meat this weekend. Just the smell of the first seasoning run was great. PS: Yes I bought the grill locally and still haven't heard from them.

Reactions: mike243
Well got the new circuit board and she is up and running. Thank you Coy. Doing first set of meat this weekend. Just the smell of the first seasoning run was great. PS: Yes I bought the grill locally and still haven't heard from them.
I am glad things worked out for you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky