Pitmasters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin jack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Philadelphia Suburbs
I have not been on here in a long time, but look forward to being back more often.

I just watched the first two episodes of the TLC show "BBQ Pitmasters" and was wondering how true these competitions are to what they present on the show? I always envisioned these events as a fun gathering to have a few drinks, share a few laughs, and to meet new people. I understand there is money involved and it isn't always happy time, but this show portray's these fellas out to be (word I won't use because this is a clean forum). I understand they may edit it this way for viewership, but isn't there more hanging out and friendly conversations going on?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I wanted to throw it out there because I am looking forward to competing sooner than later and was wondering what to expect out there and how close to reality this show is.

The comps are h e l l . For sure . Some are fun but to be serious everything must be perfect from practice . I have done some ( brisket and ribs only ) and done OK . The truest thing is that it is up to the judges . The better the judge the better chance the full time teams have of winning . Just my 02 cents

Yes. Although don't be too shocked if folks are a little reserved during prep time and/or during crunch time.

Also, there are plenty of ancillary, drunk idiots at comps, and those are the guys that can really turn into jerks.

Keep watching Pitmasters. Myron ain't such a jerk. He's in it to win it, but he ain't quite the jerk HE makes himself out to be on that show (think PT Barnum).

Now I have watch quite a few of the shows now and they are getting better. In the beginning I was pretty turned off by Myron and his ole attitudes also but they are staying away from him so much it seams. I do like Johnny Trigg and paul but I'm losing it for BBQ chicks she being a real B......lately.I guess she shouldn't have gotten rid of her help or man I guess.

The show is edited for drama. That's why they chose the most competitive of the bunch. An example of this is in the last show "Big Pig Jig":

Tuffy: "I've never cooked a pig that was bigger than me"
Myron: "He's probably smarter too"

I think Myron got a brisket from Tuffy in that on as well.
All the happy drunken campfires and pot luck dinners are edited out. Who wants to watch that?

For me the best part is watching Myron, Tuffy and Trigg getting their butts kicked by unknown teams.

-rob

That is funny. Especially when half the show is Myron running his mouth about how he is so far ahead of the bunch and then they call out the top five and he always seems to have a reason why he was not apart of them.....normally it is "poor judges"

If the judges scored the competition correctly, Myron would win every time
icon_smile.gif

You gotta cook it to win it . These so called unknown teams are some well known teams , they just happen to NOT be on the TLC drama queen show . The best get beat alot but they also win a lot . Drag racing is the same way . There are teams that just cook in Texas and if you come to Texas you better have your A game or they will hand you your smoker on your way out the door . Just my 02 cents worth on no name teams winnning .

I think if you would read the contest results in the KCBS Bull Sheet, you would see many familiar names that are here on the forum from time to time. Most don't post very much. If you were competing 25-30 times per year, you wouldn't have much time for forums either.

The best get their names called consistently, maybe not as winners, but certainly in the top ten. Inconsistent judges go with the territory. The best advice I've heard was "Find a taste that you like and stick with it (within judging parameters, of course {i.e. not too hot, not too sweet or salty, etc.}).

If you're doing your homework, consistency will eventually win out. Meaning, you can improve on something and make it better if you're not making wholesale changes all the time. In time,the taste and the "judging" takes care of themselves.

I know, it's a moot point for most here, most aren't going to compete. But, it's still good advice even if the "judges" are friends and family.

just got done watching a new pitmaster, and i remember reading this post along time ago.

myron sure is confident, and like all guys we think we cant be beat. myron is cocky and sure he

deserves it to the titles he has won but there comes a time you should be humble.

but tonight myron has proved to be an a$$ the episode was from 2009 i think but cool smoke

helped his sorry butt out with a brisket and his comment was i wouldnt have done that i would have

given him a lesser one from a store.

MAY THE KARMA GOD. wrap his foot around myrons sphinker and kick it over a goal post.

sure its an old episode but its people like that, whom deserve to lose to new comers.

just m.h.o.

Jack,yep we still chew the fat. And I posted a string here that basically says,if anyone needs som e help at a contest,I'd like to try as an assistant for someone.

I feel I wouldn't be extra luggage:

df9dce2a_Betty004.jpg

I've been to a few contest now & even meet Jim Notley, Harry Soo,& Mr Triggs himself. It's correct the show does leave ALOT. While there are people just there to have a good time there are also people that make their living this way. The guys I meet wouldn't even talk to anyone during the comp., but turned into the nicest friendliest guys once they were all turned in & waiting for the calls!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky