PitBoss Selling Upgraded Controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not pid. They did recently come out with pid & emailing them as we speak about it. Had some interaction & they claim the new pid units produce less smoke than the non pid from what im gathering from the email. Also he's bragging about the p-setting smoke adjustment option which also isnt available on the pid. Asked additional questions but havent heard back yet...
One of the questions was if the pid controller will be available for non pid units...
Good luck. I emailed them weeks ago to ask some specific questions about the new smokers at Walmart & Lowe's not answered anywhere since they were posted up with very limited info and haven't heard back. Not very confidence inspiring for a potential customer. Rec Tec is looking better and better by the day.

I did get an email back in <24 hr when inquiring about if it is or would be available for my electric vertical analog ... said not right now, but didn’t say not coming.

Reactions: jcoleman66
And yes, these are PID ... probably what they are putting in the new Platinum series.
I mis-spoke! You are correct as i went back & re-read their reply, they are pid. Loose the function / option of the p-setting. From my interpretation of the email, the pid will produce less smoke than what I have now & cant tweak things using the p setting. I dont have terrible issues with temp swings so not sure if its really an upgrade....

It's 36 degree here and had mine set at 350, went to put 2 nice pork steaks on, temps were 350 on set-temp and the lid therm , made me feel good all over lol. They turned out great . I have had great results from my Austin LX . hope it continues

It's 36 degree here and had mine set at 350, went to put 2 nice pork steaks on, temps were 350 on set-temp and the lid therm , made me feel good all over lol. They turned out great . I have had great results from my Austin LX . hope it continues
Pork tenderloin on mine right now. Performing wonderful as usual

Any problem getting the new controller connected to your wifi network?

For some reason it took me probably half a dozen tries to get the grill to connect to WiFi although it connected easily to my phone via Bluetooth.

I smoked a turkey yesterday using my Austin XL with the new controller. Being able to see current temps is convenient but otherwise the Smoke It app is pretty basic. You can see temp and probe temp, set alarm for probe temp and raise or lower the grill temp. The grill can be turned off from the app but it can't be turned on. No surprise there.

Overall it probably isn't worth the $140 or whatever. But it works okay I guess. Pretty anticlimactic overall.

I've used my WiFi controller and Austin XL now for a couple cooks. Everything seems to be working as it should. No complaints although I stand by my earlier post that it is anticlimactic overall.

For some reason it took me probably half a dozen tries to get the grill to connect to WiFi although it connected easily to my phone via Bluetooth.

I smoked a turkey yesterday using my Austin XL with the new controller. Being able to see current temps is convenient but otherwise the Smoke It app is pretty basic. You can see temp and probe temp, set alarm for probe temp and raise or lower the grill temp. The grill can be turned off from the app but it can't be turned on. No surprise there.

Overall it probably isn't worth the $140 or whatever. But it works okay I guess. Pretty anticlimactic overall.
Really weird that you cant turn-on the smoker from the app...
Ide be calling / confirming on that one, maybe an app update can resolve that is more people cry about it...
Probably a liability issue / safety deal but would imagine every other brand you can start the smoke from your phone???? Ive never had a wifi PG & assuming other you can as that would be one of the main benefits...
Toss a cold butt on the grates before bed & turn-on at midnight, etc.....

Pit Boss told me these are not PID it just the legacy controller with WiFi/Bluetooth functionality.
I've used my WiFi controller and Austin XL now for a couple cooks. Everything seems to be working as it should. No complaints although I stand by my earlier post that it is anticlimactic overall.
Yeah, anticlimactic is charitable.

The lid has to be open to start the PB smokers, they don't run a fan on startup so the wood gas gets really heavy and will make a pretty good bang, so it is a safety measure IMO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky