Catalytic Converter Protection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So basically Sh*theads stealing Sh*t???
Yes! Haven't heard of it yet but commented to the guys that pumped mine this spring..."it's liquid gold" !

Thinking if you could put sensors on your catalytic converter so if someone tried stealing it they hear a shotgun going off at close range! The guilty one would be the one with big bump on his forehead and soiled britches! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bigfurmn
HowlingDog HowlingDog thank you! Pretty sure I’m gonna hook this up. The Ramos and torque wrench would cost me $150-200. I’ll see what my dealer will charge. Have lost one CC before I want some protection. Total cost of all this is still 1/2 of a replacement of one. Toyotas have 6 I think and 2 are easy access.

Truck Tailgates with back up cameras are another big ticket item being stolen...at $800-1500 to replace; they are drawing attention.....and easy to lift and steal.

Truck Tailgates with back up cameras are another big ticket item being stolen...at $800-1500 to replace; they are drawing attention.....and easy to lift and steal.

I worry about this one.. I have a 15 Tundra that the tailgate doesn't lock with the auto locks ... Was looking at the aftermarket actuators that will work with the rest of the auto locks

Here's a testament to how good Toyota 4 Runners are... We have an 03 Limited we bought new... It has 200,000 miles on it and still has the original spark plugs ... We've had NO problems with it except your usual breaks/tires ... Occasional AC work once in a while.. but no major components

Reactions: indaswamp
I remember back in tbe early 2ks when i had a truck they had tailgate locks that fit in the tailgate release handle. Not sure they still do but work well back then.

I worry about this one.. I have a 15 Tundra that the tailgate doesn't lock with the auto locks ... Was looking at the aftermarket actuators that will work with the rest of the auto locks

Check out SaBellCo.com I got my Tacoma tailgate lock from them. They have a lock for Tundra's as well.

Love my Tacoma!!!
This is my second Tacoma and 4th Toyota pick up.
IMG_1799.JPG

Tired pup in her truck... Had to take the rear seats out.
IMG_2763.JPEG

BBQ, Trucks and Beer...... Love 'Merica!!!!!!

They just busted a huge catalytic converter ring here in Baton Rouge. Found 120K worth of converters in the ring leaders house. The state legislature is crafting laws making recyclers liable if they purchase hot converters. New Tracking laws are being crafted....

Reactions: zwiller
I know this isn't a viable option, but post a sniper near the vehicle to pick off would be thieves. There are few things in this world I hate more than a thief!
I like that one. The sniper but since you can't do that, I like the shield idea.

So basically Sh*theads stealing Sh*t???
Can somebody help me & my 73 year old memory:
Did I read about it or did I see it talked about in a Movie or something:
It was about somebody attempting to steal gas from a Motor Home. So they put the hose down the reservoir, but it was the waste tank & not the Gas Tank.
And you know how you have to start a syphon---Suck, Suck, Suck!!!
Where did I see or hear that??

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
Can somebody help me & my 73 year old memory:
Did I read about it or did I see it talked about in a Movie or something:
It was about somebody attempting to steal gas from a Motor Home. So they put the hose down the reservoir, but it was the waste tank & not the Gas Tank.
And you know how you have to start a syphon---Suck, Suck, Suck!!!
Where did I see or hear that??

Bear
As I recall it was in the Darwin Awards. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
Found on Darwin Awards Honorable Mention:
Seattle: When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find an ill man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and plugged his hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges, saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

It sucks you have to resort to those methods to prevent them stealing the converters. Thankfully it hasn't been much of a problem around here at least not yet.

It sucks you have to resort to those methods to prevent them stealing the converters.
I could not agree more. From what I can tell around these parts its mostly trucks in unsecured parking lots. One for commuters and skiers where they kinda know once you leave you will gone a while And wont be anywhere close.

Found on Darwin Awards Honorable Mention:
Seattle: When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find an ill man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and plugged his hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges, saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
OK, Thanks!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it.
Maybe they should make dual tanks----One big section for the Gas, and a smaller section for the real stinky stuff, with a diverter so that any syphon hose coming in would be routed to the Stinky Stuff Section!!

Bear

I like that one. The sniper but since you can't do that, I like the shield idea.
Personally I would rather use an IED small enough to blow the thieves hands off and do little damage to my truck ! I like Red Mist. I would love to go back to the old west days when a horse thief was either shot or hung by the neck until dead . In this case it's the CAT thief

They just busted a huge catalytic converter ring here in Baton Rouge. Found 120K worth of converters in the ring leaders house. The state legislature is crafting laws making recyclers liable if they purchase hot converters. New Tracking laws are being crafted....
Same here in Ohio this past March. 1,100 cats... Over a mil. They found really creepy stuff. The guy used accomplices and Apple air tags so he could cherry pick and monitor the vehicles. Loophole here is that a business can recycle as many cats per day compared to an individual. Found this info and wanted to share, looks helpful. https://www.iaati.org/news/entry/combat-catalytic-converter-theft-prevention-marking

HowlingDog HowlingDog thank you! Pretty sure I’m gonna hook this up. The Ramos and torque wrench would cost me $150-200. I’ll see what my dealer will charge. Have lost one CC before I want some protection. Total cost of all this is still 1/2 of a replacement of one. Toyotas have 6 I think and 2 are easy access.

For some reason i can’t see the install instructions on my phone so I dont know why you would need a torque wrench, but you can get a 200 ft/lb wrench at Harbor Freight for under $30. You can also get loaners from some auto parts stores (refundable deposit required).

Geeze, another thing to worry about!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky