Pitboss 700 First Burn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ziggy1791

Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
Illinois
Hi all, new to the forum and had a question. I just got my new Pitboss 700 and did my first burn. I followed the directions per the manual, using pitboss brand fruit blend of pellets. My question was I noticed that when I was done, the entire inside was covered in black soot. I wiped it all down afterwards. I didn’t know if that was normal for a first burn, considering it burns off everything from the factory or if maybe something was wrong?

Thanks for any help towards this noobie!

I'm not familiar with your smoker, but did you spray the inside down with Pam before you seasoned it?
Al

i have the 700FB PitBoss. The black is from the "oil" that is coating the inside from the factory. after my first burn i wiped it down and did another burn but not as hot as the first time burn to get the smoke coating back on the inside to help protect it from rusting.

And like Al said. spray it down with pam I use the olive oil spray and did this after both burns

No problems after the first two burns.

It's burnt byproducts from manufacturing and not actually "soot" as you know it. I would wipe down with a damp rag and do another shorter burn at a lower temp to get some smoke "seasoning" on there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky