Pit Chicken A La Chef Jimmy J

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by disco, Aug 23, 2014.

1. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

We are all familiar with Chef Jimmy J's foiling sauces, etc, which are so good. So, I tried his pit chicken with some of my own methods. If you would like to see how the Chef did it, the link is http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121378/pit-chicken-aka-roadside-chicken-for-you-west-coast-guys

First, he brines the chicken. I don't brine poultry. I find it changes the texture in a way I don't like and I find the chicken remains moist as long as you don't over cook it.

So I started by spatchcocking a 4 pound chicken.

I didn't use the Chef's chicken rub but I did give it a good coating of Cabella's chicken rub, including under the skin of the breast and thighs.

I made up the Chef's sauce recipe. It is at this link: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121378/pit-chicken-aka-roadside-chicken-for-you-west-coast-guys

I brushed it on the bird liberally and let is sit for 3 hours.

I started up the mini with 3/4 of a chimney of lump charcoal and pecan chunks.

I gave the bird another brush and put it on the mini when the temperature got to 300 F

I brushed both sides of the bird with sauce every 20 minutes. Of curse, it had to be watched. She Who Must Be Obeyed helped me with that and was very happy about having her picture taken.

It took 1 hour 20 minutes to cook.

The verdict - I loved the sweet sour taste of the sauce with just a touch of heat. It gave the bird a great colour. Our guest for dinner loved it. Thanks, Chef Jimmy J.

Disco

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    leah elisheva likes this.
  2. Disco it looks good so far. Keep the pics coming.

[​IMG]

Happy smoken.

David

3. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks very tasty Disco, real nice meal for sure.... Hats off to the happy smoker.... Ya can always tell a happy smoker by the big grin, one hand with some vino & the other with the temp remote therm. Nice smoke ! :kewl:

4. disco

Sorry about that. I hit the submit button too soon. The full post is up now.

Disco

5. disco

Thanks, Brew. It was a good day with the missus and a friend. The wine was just for hydration purposes.

Disco

6. I have been known to do that as well. It all looks tasty!

Happy smoken.

David

7. Well this is just fantastic and delicious and so happy to see!!!

From the preparation to celebration and LIBATION even too; it looked like a wonderful time and with terrific pictures of you both and of the food and all the fun!

Just sensational!!!

Happy weekend!!!!!

Cheers!! - Leah

8. disco

I'm afraid I do more stupid things like that as I get older. Sigh. At least the chicken was good.
    Thanks, Leah. The missus forced the wine on me. What are  you going to do? It was a good day.

Disco

9. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Very nice[​IMG].

JJ's rub is a hit here too.

Have fun and . . .

10. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great Disco.

Something for me to try.

11. disco

He's created some good stuff.
    Thanks, Adam. It is tasty.

12. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Bravo Disco! That looks delicious as usual! I have yet to try a JJ recipe that wasn't superb. Looks as though good food and good times were had by all!

:pDT_Armataz_01_37:

Nicely done, Sir... Thumbs Up

Red

13. Awesome bird!!! Eat, Drink, & be Merry!!! Thumbs Up

14. disco

Thanks, Red. It was a good recipe to be sure.
    Thanks! I do enjoy being merry!

15. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

That came out Beautiful, better than the bird in my post, I was rushed that day and over browned the legs just a bit. I am glad you enjoyed it. Hey Stan, thanks for the good word my friend...JJ

16. disco

High praise from the master. Thanks.

17. Disco, I love the pics of you and "the one who you must obey" that's the only way to cook....with several glasses of wine.  nice cook my friend. looks like you had some leftovers....me and Sophie (the beagle) are on our way up there lol.....

18. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks like a great day my friend. A pretty lady, good food, and a glass a wine! And got your Easter bonnent on too!

Chicken looks great.

19. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I'm definitely trying this soon! Looks great!

20. disco

The missus has good taste in everything but men! Ergo, I supply lots of wine.

You and Sophie are welcome anytime. We have lots of food and wine for you and squirrels for Sophie to chase.
    Thanks, Kevin. It was a good day. A friend was over for the meal too. He just moved here and has been staying with us until his furniture showed up. He is asking me to keep him supplied with bacon. 
    I would recommend it but check out Chef Jimmy J's version too, he is the original poster and does it with a few differences.