Pit Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeremiah Justice

Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
I'd like to build a trailer pit and have a "double barrel" design in mind, as in the fire boxes and smoking chambers run the length of the trailer, but they will be separated by a foot to a foot-and-a-half. Because different meats cook at different temperatures, I thought this design would be ideal, but I haven't seen too many similar designs. When I mention my idea to others, most people just suggest that I either have an upright smoking chamber attached to the main smoking chamber or just put different meats on at different times to compensate for the needs. Is there a reason that a "double barrel" design is isn't too common? Perhaps there's too much heat transfer from one pit to the next?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
One of my niece's ex-husband's had a double barrel smoker and he loved it. If I remember right, it did run a bit hotter being directly above the fire. Smaller connecting pipes probably would have helped, I don't have that problem with my vertical.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky