Pit Boss Copperhead for cold smoking cheese?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doughboysigep

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Delhi, NY
Had my first smoke with my new Copperhead. One thin I love about it is the size and with extra racks I'll likely have room for 40# of cheese (or more)! However, I am highly skeptical of if the "smoke" setting will stay anywhere under the 100 degrees (I like to stay around 60-70) because the pellets need to be fired up to smoke. Does anyone have any experience with "cold" smoking in a Copperhead? Other downside is there is no port to attached my mailbox to try it that way. I could put the EZ-Q or Amaz-N right in unit, but I know that can warm up units too much as well (maybe Pit Boss isn't as insulated as my MES?, ice bottles in pan??). Any thoughts or suggestions?

I fear you will have smoked cheese puddles in a pellet smoker. Your best bet would be using the Amaz-N tube in there for smoke and it will likely produce enough heat , or maybe even too much. Use a Maverick or similar remote thermometer to monitor the temps closely and don't rely on the gauge in the unit

Melted cheese if you fire it up its what 70-80 where you are now? 150-160 will probably be as low as it will run, a tray would be about the only way to do it imo

I use an A-maze-n tray with dust and use no other heat. I'd wait for a cool morning or eve and give it a try. Interested to see how low of a temp the Copperhead would go. Maybe put cheese on top rack and crack the door open? Tray is the easy way to do it.

You could try a AMNPS on bottom with a pan of ice above the AMNPS to lower the smoker internal temp. I would only do it on a cold morning. I will not be doing more cheese until October. I like the temps to be 60 degrees or less.

Not really sure why Pit Boss promotes the cheese smoking for these units. Didn't really buy it. Might just have to stick with MES and mailbox.

I say wait for cooler temperatures (60 or less), start with a cold smoker and cold cheese. Use a pan of ice and place the cheese on a grate on top of the ice. Monitor the temp closely. I would use an AMNPS instead of the firebox in the Pitboss.

An inexpensive way to cold smoke is to make a hole in the side of a soup can at the bottom, jam a cheap soldering iron through the hole and add wood chips. You can smoke inside most anything, even a cardboard box. My cheese and bacon come out great.

Reactions: MNScotty
I agree with the AMNPS approach. I don't think the Pit Boss burner keeps the smoker chamber cold enough to do cheese even on the smoke setting. I will say though, I have only used it once. Great flavor but I had a difficult time keeping the AMNPS lit when using pellets. I had to re-light it several times as the pellets tended to not pass on the burn. I am going to try wood chips next time.

I agree with the AMNPS approach. I don't think the Pit Boss burner keeps the smoker chamber cold enough to do cheese even on the smoke setting. I will say though, I have only used it once. Great flavor but I had a difficult time keeping the AMNPS lit when using pellets. I had to re-light it several times as the pellets tended to not pass on the burn. I am going to try wood chips next time.

I use the AMNPS in my Pitt Boss Pro #4 no problem with pellets going out
Richie

I also cast my vote for the AMNPS with dust. You'll get a cleaner cooler smoke. I would use frozen quart soda bottles to help keep the smoker cool instead of open ice cubes. Less moisture.

Chris

If you use the smoke setting you will end up with fondue.

Amazn pellet smoker for cold smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky