Pit Boss Copperhead ErL error code?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did buy a probe but by the time it arrived I had just exchanged the smoker at Lowes and new one has worked fine for three smokes so far (up to about 12 hours).

First option would be to swap the unit if possible but if that isn't feasible replace the probe. From everything I've read it seems like that'll fix it and changing the entire control board, as pitboss will suggest, doesn't.

It is really bad that they're dinging their reputation with so many faulty models because the smoker itself, as others have said, when working is awesome. I love my replacement.

After fighting with this unit for the past year, I am finally calling it quits. Too bad too, since I like the rack system. It worked fine for about 5 cook's, then started throwing the same ErL everyone here has seen. I have changed out 2 temp probes, and a control board - to no avail. I have followed all suggestions in this forum as well as others found online. Pit Boss being backed up with replacement parts is ridiculous, especially since this unit is seemingly flawed. ErL codes came back the same way both times. Installed a new probe / followed recommended start up on cleaned out unit / followed recommended shut down proceedure / 2 hours later tried to do a normal cook and 15 mins in to the preheat cycle, ERL! this unit failed me 2 hours into a Thanksgiving turkey smoke last Nov for the first time, and 2 weekend cooks after. The last temp probe replacement was today - followed by the ever familiar ErL. Going to take it to the dump tomorrow. +/- $450 wasted on this smoker. LOOK ELSEWHERE, you wont regret it.

It is unfortunate. Pit Boss claims it is rare, but 2 x I had the same issue with the same response.

Great smoker, it is just too buggy to deal with.

I exchanged the first one and got my money back and moved on after the 2nd time.

Looking at a Traeger next. Hopefully it will have legs.

I'm a bit of a luddite, so pellet smoking seemed like cheating. But, the few good experiences I had while the pit boss was working have me interested. Makes me look like a BBq genious with no effort at all... gonna try again. Just changing brands

I swapped out for a new one. Sucks. I have a feeling I’ll get the code the day after my 30 days is up at Lowes. Contemplating the 3yr warranty and just keep taking them back when i get the ERL/herpes.

If it makes you feel better. LOWES has the easiest return policy of all. Their store return policy is 90 days. I had lost the receipt for my grill and they still took it back. I did tell them I planned to purchase the same product immediately after, but still... it was lenient and good customer service.

I got the same code Sunday night. Called customer service at 650 a.m. CST and had my parts coming via warranty in 5 minutes. Rep did say Pit Boss experienced a X3 customer base boost that they were not expecting which led to the longer lead times during the summer for warranty parts. I have had my Series 4 for about 5 months and use it regularly. I had been smoking a pork butt for about 12 hours at 225 and cranked it up to 350 to finish it off before bed. I bet that caused the issue. Ordering my temp probe from amazon today.

I got the same code Sunday night. Called customer service at 650 a.m. CST and had my parts coming via warranty in 5 minutes. Rep did say Pit Boss experienced a X3 customer base boost that they were not expecting which led to the longer lead times during the summer for warranty parts. I have had my Series 4 for about 5 months and use it regularly. I had been smoking a pork butt for about 12 hours at 225 and cranked it up to 350 to finish it off before bed. I bet that caused the issue. Ordering my temp probe from amazon today.

No issues with the customer service at all. My issue was simply having to repetitively fix something that was less than a month old... even if the repair was somewhat simplistic. They need to recall the smokers and/or produce an improved model that lacks the issue. It just makes a pretty good smoker seem cheaply made or poorly engineered

I did buy a probe but by the time it arrived I had just exchanged the smoker at Lowes and new one has worked fine for three smokes so far (up to about 12 hours).

First option would be to swap the unit if possible but if that isn't feasible replace the probe. From everything I've read it seems like that'll fix it and changing the entire control board, as pitboss will suggest, doesn't.

It is really bad that they're dinging their reputation with so many faulty models because the smoker itself, as others have said, when working is awesome. I love my replacement.

I had the same error and they sent me a new control board/panel and a couple of temp probes. Plus before I received the probes I bought one online. I used the smoker a couple of times since now I’m just waiting for it to fail? I would have returned it but I was past the return time at Lowe’s. In my opinion, the smoker is a great concept and easy to operate however, I don’t think it does as good a job and a wood burning smoker. It’s much easier to control temp but, no comparison on smoke flavor and bark. Just my opinion.

I’ve used my 2nd model a few times over the last month. My Lowe’s return policy was only 30 days I believe. Good so far.

Update: I bought my replacement probe from Amazon with one day delivery. Installed it and it started up fine. Gonna run some test this weekend with cool weather, nice scotch and tasty meats. Stay tuned...

That's great to hear and more evidence that it's potentially just a probe problem.

The only time I saw the error code since replacing probe was when I shut the door too early during startup procedure and it got smokey as hell in there. Quick restart, learned my lesson and it's been working like a charm.

My wife and I bought the Pit Boss Pro Series 4 from Lowes back in the early summer. It worked great, much better than the Masterbuilt we had previously. That all came to an end on Thanksgiving, when I ran afoul of the ErL error. Nothing quite like having your smoker code out when its time to start the turkey.

So I followed the advice here. Tried the electrical connections, no change. Checked the pellets, no change. Tried the vent adjustment, no change. And just today, I installed a new temperature probe, and got up to 260 degrees before the ErL code came back.

Pit Boss customer service was trying to be helpful, but they acted like the ErL error was some rare occurrence. I told them the whole story, but they suggested I order another temp probe, and maybe a new control panel, which are on back order.

After seeing how this rare problem is not so rare, I'm wondering if I should take the risk of ordering a new control panel, or should I just get something better (Traeger?)? I'm open to suggestions.

Traeger? Not unless you want to expose yourself to a similar problem next Thanksgiving.

It's Rec Tec time.

Your story above, is the exact reason why I would avoid pellet smokers from big box and home improvement stores.

My wife and I bought the Pit Boss Pro Series 4 from Lowes back in the early summer. It worked great, much better than the Masterbuilt we had previously. That all came to an end on Thanksgiving, when I ran afoul of the ErL error. Nothing quite like having your smoker code out when its time to start the turkey.

So I followed the advice here. Tried the electrical connections, no change. Checked the pellets, no change. Tried the vent adjustment, no change. And just today, I installed a new temperature probe, and got up to 260 degrees before the ErL code came back.

Pit Boss customer service was trying to be helpful, but they acted like the ErL error was some rare occurrence. I told them the whole story, but they suggested I order another temp probe, and maybe a new control panel, which are on back order.

After seeing how this rare problem is not so rare, I'm wondering if I should take the risk of ordering a new control panel, or should I just get something better (Traeger?)? I'm open to suggestions.
I got the same ErL day before Thanksgiving and turned it off, wiped the temp probe and voila! Smoked two turkeys for about 8 hours last Friday and masterful. Did you make sure you are cleaning the smoker out after each use? Did you have a clean area when you reinstalled the probe?

I got the same ErL day before Thanksgiving and turned it off, wiped the temp probe and voila! Smoked two turkeys for about 8 hours last Friday and masterful. Did you make sure you are cleaning the smoker out after each use? Did you have a clean area when you reinstalled the probe?
Oh yes, cleaned the ash, wiped up any spill or overflow, the whole nine yards. And I made sure to clean the area when I took the old temp probe off. Did startup by the book, made sure the auger was working, made sure there were no jams or blockages, started up in Smoke, waiting for the signs of heat and smoke, and then closed the door for the pre-heat. It only made it to 250 degrees the first attempt this morning, and only 160 degrees the second attempt.

I mentioned this to a guy at Lowes, and he said that they had more than a few of that model returned for error codes, but since I was outside the return window, I couldn't change it out for a new one.

This was perhaps the best smoker I've had in the few years I've dabbled in the art, and while I would love to get another one, I'm not so inclined to end up with another $400 paperweight.

Ok, after ordering the temperature probe my first step was how do I replace it or even disconnect the wire. I disconnected and reconnected the wire as first suggested and although the error code was gone, my probe was reading 280f. I then unscrewed the probe and installed the new probe and noe the temp reads 80f so I think my problem was the probe. Upon inspection, I noticed my old probe was quite black. Don’t know for sure if this was the issue but I will clean it with oven cleaner and see if I can get it looking like new. I am assuming the probes work on resistance and measures thermal growth, so if you have a layer of thick carbon on it, maybe that might throw it off. Anyhow, i have included a picture of the location to get to the wires. It was super easy and on mine only 2 screws (in picture, farthest 2 in back. Hope this helps.

8F59FF10-F83C-4C54-9597-AE6D12ED60A1.jpeg

I must have the oddball PitBoss 5 series - I had the ERL code early on, replaced the temp probe and its been fine ever since. I've been careful and cleaning off the temp probe and I try not to get it wet when I'm filling the water pan. It's been a great smoker for me.

I had a series 5 delivered about 2 weeks ago directly from Pit Boss and did the burn in plus three 6-12 hour smokes with no problems at all. knock on wood but i have been very happy with this smoker thus far

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky