Piri Piri Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I am still working on learning to smoke in my WSM Mini. So, I decided to do a spatchcock Piri Piri Chicken.

I started by mixing up a Piri Piri Sauce:

Zest of one lemon

45 ml (3 tablespoons) lemon juice

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

15 ml (1 tbsp) piri piri spice

You can get Piri Piri spice in specialty stores but I have used 1/2 the amount of crushed dried chilies as a substitute with good result.

I spatchcocked a 2 1/2 pound frying chicken.

Then I rubbed the Piri Piri over both sides of the chicken.

I pushed some under the skin of the breasts and thighs and let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours.

I heated up a chimney of lump charcoal and set up the Mini with some plum wood chunks. I got it to about 275 F and put the chicken on.

I cooked it for a little under an hour to get the breast meat to 160 F.

I wanted the skin a little crispier so I threw it on the Weber Grill on high for a couple of minutes.

I cut it into serving pieces and She Who Must Be Obeyed made some coleslaw  and green salad.

The Verdict: I thought this was perfect. The chicken is spicy with a nice lemon overtone. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed said there was too much garlic (she was wrong). Of course, I will use next garlic the next time I make it (even though she is wrong). Even with the garlic argument, this was a great success and will be made again. However, next time I will kick up the heat in the mini and might be able to get away without grilling for a crisper skin.

Disco

Last edited:
looks great disco . try this little trick I learned a long time ago , don't let " the one who must be obeyed " see how much garlic you put in , just tell her you used less . she will then tell you "how much better it is with less" LOL

Yeah Disco.....I like that advice above. A magician never lets on how the trick is performed. I seriously thought there would be a complaint about the liberal use of crushed red pepper.....oh, wait...that's at my house

Great looking smoke Disco! It's been a while since I've done a spatched bird, or any chicken for that matter! I have two in the freezer so I think I'll pull one out tonight!

Only question why throw it on the grill when you could've pulled the pot off the mini and thrown it cavemen style onto the coals or put the grate on and seared right on the smokey joe! That's the best thing about the mini its a one stop show!

Nice bird Disco.

Yup, pull the pot and sear on the grill.

looks great disco . try this little trick I learned a long time ago , don't let " the one who must be obeyed " see how much garlic you put in , just tell her you used less . she will then tell you "how much better it is with less" LOL
Thanks! However, the plan, while brilliant won't work. She didn't know how much I'd used in the first place and just said there was too much garlic when I served it. Sigh.
Yeah Disco.....I like that advice above. A magician never lets on how the trick is performed. I seriously thought there would be a complaint about the liberal use of crushed red pepper.....oh, wait...that's at my house
The crushed red pepper isn't as spicy as you think it would be when used as a marinade, just a nice heat.

Disco

Great looking smoke Disco! It's been a while since I've done a spatched bird, or any chicken for that matter! I have two in the freezer so I think I'll pull one out tonight!

Only question why throw it on the grill when you could've pulled the pot off the mini and thrown it cavemen style onto the coals or put the grate on and seared right on the smokey joe! That's the best thing about the mini its a one stop show!
Thanks, Case. Great idea. I still have a lot to learn about the mini.

Nice bird Disco.

Yup, pull the pot and sear on the grill.
Thanks, Adam! Will do.

Looks good to me?

When I lost my wife, after a time I went into dating mode at an advanced age.

First thing I would do was to take my potential victim for dinner at the local Basque restaurant.

If the garlic was too much for her?  I knew to move on. 
biggrin.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Well, ya learn something new every day.  Piripiri is a very common Japanese word that means spicy or prickly.  Until just now, I thought it was a native word, but turns out it comes from Africa.  My Japanese wife had no idea, either.

Looks good, btw, and I too have a wife who doesn't care much for garlic, or any parts of the bird except for the breast.

Looks good to me?

When I lost my wife, after a time I went into dating mode at an advanced age.

First thing I would do was to take my potential victim for dinner at the local Basque restaurant.

If the garlic was too much for her?  I knew to move on. 
biggrin.gif

Good luck and good smoking.
Thanks! The missus actually likes garlic but thought this was too much so I guess I'll keep her around.
Real nice spatchy Disco, that had to be real tasty !
I loved it and will make it again. Next time I'll try 4 cloves. There is a reason the missus is She Who Must Be Obeyed

Well, ya learn something new every day.  Piripiri is a very common Japanese word that means spicy or prickly.  Until just now, I thought it was a native word, but turns out it comes from Africa.  My Japanese wife had no idea, either.

Looks good, btw, and I too have a wife who doesn't care much for garlic, or any parts of the bird except for the breast.
Thanks, Duke. I don't know the root of the word but Piri Piri chicken is a common Portugese dish. That is what inspired this recipe. 

A Japanese wife could be a source of great food. I love the spice profiles and style of Japanese cooking. Too bad about not caring for garlic and chicken wings though. 

Nice looking bird , I too have the same problem with the boss ,she must be part vampire because she don't like a lot of garlic either.
Thanks, James. I most likely have misled people about the missus. She likes garlic but, obviously, not as much as me.

As for your boss, bring her along gently, it will be better for your health!

Disco

Disco, this looks gorgeous!! From your blog posts and postings here, it is always a savory and sensational treat to read your stuff!!! Great job!!! Cheers! - Leah
Thanks. Leah. Not as artistic as your efforts but very tasty.

Thanks! The missus actually likes garlic but thought this was too much so I guess I'll keep her around.

I loved it and will make it again. Next time I'll try 4 cloves. There is a reason the missus is She Who Must Be Obeyed
Thanks, Duke. I don't know the root of the word but Piri Piri chicken is a common Portugese dish. That is what inspired this recipe. 

A Japanese wife could be a source of great food. I love the spice profiles and style of Japanese cooking. Too bad about not caring for garlic and chicken wings though. 
Great looking chicken. Piri Piri is African brought back to Portugal from Mozambique & Angola ,originally colonies until the revolutions. The Portugese had a stake in India,China & Brazil as well so it's a really diverse cuisine when those things come back to the home country.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky