pink salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About 4 Table spoons cure #1 per gallon of water is deemed safe in brine by the USDA. (3.84oz) This is maximum. This is just way more than is needed. I usually don’t brine, I dry cure, but when I brine, I use the 1tsp per 5 pounds but add the water weight (8.33 lbs per gallon) and the meat weight. This is equilibrium brining. I add salt and sugar as a percentage to the total weight.

Give me a scenario and I’ll gladly give you a recipe.
You are safe and good to go. No worries.
Not salty at all, I guess soaking it for 24 hrs worked.
Weird taste though can't put my finger on it though

Attachments

• 20210729_193138.jpg
    20210729_193138.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 19
It will taste better in the morning. Not unusual to let these cured products rest a week or so to let the seasonings and smoke move and settle. Enjoy it.

It will taste better in the morning. Not unusual to let these cured products rest a week or so to let the seasonings and smoke move and settle. Enjoy it.
Thanks for help. I maybe watered it down to much. No salt coming through.

Thanks for help. I maybe watered it down to much. No salt coming through.
For you this is a learning curve. What is salty to me, may be spot on for you. What is the most perfect pastrami that you made, may be under or over my preference. We only try to help you get to your happy spot safely. From there you can adjust to your flavor preferences. Again, you started with a wild crazy recipe, and we only are trying to tame it so it’s not only safe but palatable.

I’m glad we curved the salt and got the cure in line. By all means do this again, but with a different approach.

I decided to take a full brisket and put in a brine to make a pastrami.
I was following a recipe for the brine and it seem like he was putting a lot of pink salt in.
The pink salt bag says 1 tsp for 5lb of meat. Is this for dry brine or even for wet because i put in like 7 tsp for a gallon of water.
Appreciate any pointers from anyone.

I was using Chuds bbq recipe.
have you tried to use a Himalayan salt block
in https://sunvalleysalt.com/pages/himalayan-salt-blocks-for-cooking

Welcome to Smoking Meat Forum (SMF)

Great info from SmokinEdge SmokinEdge

I'll try help with a visual to discern between Himalayan pink salt and the pink salt (cure#1, etc.) that is core discussion of this thread.
You are familiar with the mottled colors of Himalayan salts in crushed or block form?
This is cure#1 (6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt) that has an artificial pink colorant added. The pink is uniform through the mix
pink-salt.jpg
Image from The Sausage Maker website

I was given 2 large salt blocks years ago but haven't tried them yet.
I've read they are great for short time curing meats that use only salt and not sodium nitrite. That is not a 15# brisket realm.
Read more in the link you posted.

Please post more and ask questions. Lots of great help on this forum.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky