pink salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i added roughly half gallon more, no more room for more.
Weird fact though this pick salt is 6.75 sodium nitrite compared to most at 6.25
Modernist Pantry Store -Amazon.
Lol.
I don’t know how you found that store, specifically, but Prague powder #1 is 6.25% nitrite. It’s a proprietary blending. What I read there was most likely a misprint. Either way you are still fine.
I would suggest in the future, to source the cure #1 from The Sausage Maker, or from Butcher Packer. There you also find plenty of other needful things. The Butchers Pantry is another source.

With the high salt concentration of your brine, I think I would pull the meat at 8 days. You are working with pretty high salt concentration for palatability. Plus the high salt speeds up the curing process.

Next time do an EQ dry brine (what I do) or the EQ wet brine, you will enjoy the next one much more. This one will be fine, but salty. You are in the learning curve. We have all been there. It gets much easier and better the more you do this.

Lol.
I don’t know how you found that store, specifically, but Prague powder #1 is 6.25% nitrite. It’s a proprietary blending. What I read there was most likely a misprint. Either way you are still fine.
I would suggest in the future, to source the cure #1 from The Sausage Maker, or from Butcher Packer. There you also find plenty of other needful things. The Butchers Pantry is another source.

With the high salt concentration of your brine, I think I would pull the meat at 8 days. You are working with pretty high salt concentration for palatability. Plus the high salt speeds up the curing process.

Next time do an EQ dry brine (what I do) or the EQ wet brine, you will enjoy the next one much more. This one will be fine, but salty. You are in the learning curve. We have all been there. It gets much easier and better the more you do this.
Thanks, appreciate the help.
Will update in week I guess...

i added roughly half gallon more, no more room for more.
Weird fact though this pick salt is 6.75 sodium nitrite compared to most at 6.25
Modernist Pantry Store -Amazon.
Sorry I wasn't clearer.
My way was to dump out all the brine into a separate container and dilute by half. Add 1 gallon back to your cure container and insert brisket. This drops the salt and nitrite levels back to working conditions.
I am not a salt lover. Usually go for 1.5%. This lower salt level means I need to triple my cure time

Please do! I will be very interested in the results. We all here at SMF are always ready and happy to help you.
Just took out brine.
It seems the brine is sticky. Is that normal?
Please do! I will be very interested in the results. We all here at SMF are always ready and happy to help you.
Hey, just took out of brine.
Is the brine supposed to be sticky and gooyie?

The term is 'ropy brine' and I've never had it happen, but this thread had a good discussion about it.

The term is 'ropy brine' and I've never had it happen, but this thread had a good discussion about it.

So it seems it's from brown sugar?

That’s ropy brine. It’s not a problem. And yes the sugar is what causes it. How long were you in brine, and what temperature?

My cure fridge is an older top freezer unit.
I measured the temp at the lower level thinking it was colder. Should have measured at the upper levels.
Discovered I can freeze items in the upper levels while the lower lever holds at 36°
Guess where I've been putting my dry cure?
Wet Cure goes on the lowest level.

are we sure its safe to eat?
I just smoked it and i would be lying if i would say im not a little nervous.

are we sure its safe to eat?
I just smoked it and i would be lying if i would say im not a little nervous.
I’d take a bite. Not sure how the salt will taste but it is safe. Next time you need to conspire here on the forum for a recipe that will have a predictable out come flavor wise, but it’s safe. Let me know what the flavor profile is.

I’d take a bite. Not sure how the salt will taste but it is safe. Next time you need to conspire here on the forum for a recipe that will have a predictable out come flavor wise, but it’s safe. Let me know what the flavor profile is.
ill post a pic soon, btw u were right it was a typo its 6.25.
Also is it safe or border line safe?
What reciept do you use if i may ask?

ill post a pic soon, btw u were right it was a typo its 6.25.
Also is it safe or border line safe?
What reciept do you use if i may ask?
About 4 Table spoons cure #1 per gallon of water is deemed safe in brine by the USDA. (3.84oz) This is maximum. This is just way more than is needed. I usually don’t brine, I dry cure, but when I brine, I use the 1tsp per 5 pounds but add the water weight (8.33 lbs per gallon) and the meat weight. This is equilibrium brining. I add salt and sugar as a percentage to the total weight.

Give me a scenario and I’ll gladly give you a recipe.
You are safe and good to go. No worries.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky