Ropy brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
I mixed up a gal of pops brine on Dec 3rd. for a boneless pork but. I started with a clean food grade bucket with lid. I actually washed it twice.
Yesterday when I went to give the ham its morning stirring, I noticed a little bit of slime... today it was much worse.
I removed the ham, and rinsed it for several minutes in cold water. I cleaned and washed the bucket out several times before mixing up a new gal of brine.

Is it common to get ropy brine in six days? An indication of something going bad? It smelled ok. No foul smell from the ham or brine.

Last edited:
It is not uncommon. Dave has a really good antique explaination I am guessing he'll share. I don't know but I would guess its a glucose, sucrose, sweetener thingie. yes its happened to me before and like everyone's first sighting it scared me. I didn't think I wanted to eat that slimie ol'bacon. LOLBut you'll be ok.

The only times I have seen it was when I was dealing with unusual sweeteners like la large quantity of pure maple syrup or molasses.

<Chuckles> 

It'll be Ok.

Thanks for the reassurance, Foam. It's definitely looked nasty. Hams swimming in a new batch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky