• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pink salt (cure) turned white

rexlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 26, 2012
My cure is a few years old and lost the pink color.  I keep it in teh cabinet in the kitchen.

I assume it is still OK .... what say you?

aeroforce100

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 31, 2009
It may be safe, but I would just get some more.  It is very inexpensive.

Last edited:

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
Cure is dyed pink to help it blend better with meat and to prevent it from being confused with common table salt, so the dye must have faded or its not cure. I would buy some more to be sure and pitch the old stuff...... someone might think is table salt and get very sick.. IMHO

rexlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 26, 2012
OK ... I have more and thought it odd.  My season salt does the same thing - starts reddish then gets real pale.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
OK ... I have more and thought it odd.  My season salt does the same thing - starts reddish then gets real pale.

I would use it.... it doesn't break down.... repackage in a container that is properly marked and kept out of the reach of kids especially.....

Proper disposal could be a problem... in high doses, cure #1 is very poisonous.....

If you have a vacuum machine, package small amounts and store in your supplies box of smoking, curing stuff..... Just to be on the safe side....

Dave

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Personally I would use it.  Nothing wrong with it.

Having said that, I store my cures in a separate room and positioned where nobody else will grab them.  Way beyond the years where kids are rummaging around.

Good luck and good smoking.

rich-

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 14, 2011
I have cure #1 in a glass jar and it is at least 2 years old, I use mine and would not be afarid to use what you have.

Rich-

voodoochile

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 20, 2013
as long as its dry and not stored in a hot environment I would think it will keep for many years 

wade

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 12, 2013

It may be safe, but I would just get some more.  It is very inexpensive.
In the UK the pink salt (which often isn't pink) is shipped with a best before date of 12 months. With such a long date (which is only advisory) providing it had been kept dry and sealed I would be happy using it up to about 18 months. As aeroforce100 says - it isn't expensive so why would you take the risk?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.