Pink Pork - Wife won't eat it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
The last 2 times I've smoked pork loin I pull it out when iv'e probed the entire thing at 150. At that temp it is still slightly pink which I've read is fine. The problem is, no matter what meat it is including beef, it has to have zero pink, well done. Just curious what you guys do when somebody won't eat the pink meat? Going forward I'm planning on cutting her portion off and throwing it on the grill to cook to her satisfaction. She enjoys smoked meat, it just can't be pink.

I don't see much of a problem here. Simply prepare your wife's meals to her satisfaction.

Even though the thermometer (which should be the guiding factor) indicates that the meat is safely prepared some people prefer their meat well done.

Personally I think well done meat has the texture of shoe leather. But that is just me.

It all boils down to Keeping the Peace,

John

Reactions: RichGTS
What worked for me was doing a blindfolded taste test on medium rare steak and well done.

Spouse agreed the medium rare was better...

She got over the color.

For such as pork loin, prime rib or other cuts that will be sliced/shared, I cook to the lowest desired IT and/or doneness and then finish individual's portions to their desire.
But when it comes to expensive steaks I refuse to cremate a pricey Prime steak.
I buy them an inexpensive Select or Choice cut, usually sirloin, and cremate that for them.

Last edited:
Since your wife isn't just singling out chicken, beef or pork when it comes to the 'pink' color you are probably best off cooking the pink out and giving her the moistest light gray pork you can. Brining will help with moistness, and allow you to slightly overcook pork. For chicken, try to avoid serving her thighs, as they have much more myoglobin and will always look pink (that's why it's call dark meat).
agGcCZ7.jpg

AMEN Brother!!
For such as pork loin, prime rib or other cuts that will be sliced/shared, I cook to the lowest desired IT and/or doneness and then finish individual's portions to their desire.
But when it comes to expensive steaks I refuse to cremate a pricey Prime steak.
I buy them a inexpensive Select or Choice cut, usually sirloin, and cremate that for them.

same thing with my wife so i just cook hers like she wants
i like mines medium to medium well some steaks I'll eat medium
but to avoid problems with the better half i just cook it the way she wants

my wife is the same way so when I cook I always make sure everything is cooked enough,funny though if she cooks steaks or burgers she'll always make mine rare the way I like them , guess I just don't take the time to space out the cooking.

No problem here. I was just curious to hear if any of you experience this as well. I understand her position even though I disagree, so I plan to chop her piece off and finish it on the grill.

so I plan to chop her piece off and finish it on the grill.
thats about all we can do...

its some kind of genetic defect to not like rare/medium rare beef. it kills me to have to do this, but she wont eat it if I dont.

Same boat here. For the most part, end cuts work and a quick nuke works well too, so no need to fire up the grill. STPP really helps keep things moist when cooking higher IT.

Funny, our my kids (girls) are not like her... In fact, my oldest likes things rarer than even me.

Reactions: sandyut
Funny, our my kids (girls) are not like her... In fact, my oldest likes things rarer than even me.
Too Funny. SAME HERE. both our daughter like them running off the plate. I am happy with rare or medium rare.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky