Picnic shoulder into a ham..... 9/13 update MONEY !!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Well I thought I bought a shoulder butt.... STUPID me... was a picnic..... Sooooo that did away with the country boneless ribs...

Bride says, "Smoke it"... I says, "It ain't cured".... Bride says, "Cure it and make ham"... I says, "That means I gots to inject it and all that stuff"... Well, she reminds me I do have 2 injecting needles.... I actually have 3 so........ Here's what I did....

Skinned the picnic... weighed it at 4,000 grams... I'll do a 5% injection because it was already "enhanced"....

200 grams water....
salt... 60 grams...because I didn't know how much salt was in the pump....
sugar.... 20 grams..... same reason....
Ames Phos.... 8 grams.. 0.2%
Cure #1... 10 grams... 156 Ppm nitrite....

I used the syringe that comes with Cajun Injector injectable sauces like you would use on wings.... marked out ~10 ml on the syringe barrel for a guesstimate of what I was doing...
First... injected along the bone and joints as best I could... I'm trying to prevent bone sour.. then injected the remaining meat.... I did all this on a 1/4 sheet pan to collect the excess liquid that leaked out.... pumped all 200 mls into the picnic.... placed the picnic in a gallon zip bag and dumped the excess liquid in it also.....
The injections were between 5 and 10 mls each.... approximately 30 injections.... now all the cure, salt and sugar is in the meat.... I don't have to wonder if it has made it to the bone... I'm turning the bag over in the AM and PM to make sure this works uniformly... should take 4 days but I'm gonna give it six.... (Actually ended up being 7, which I'm not changing because the ham was AWESOME)

Last edited:
I have been wanting to do this.

Will be watching.

Not much juice leaked out... I'm surprised because it was pumped... My attempt at tying it up to hang.. I should get netting if this works....

.. .. .. ..
Hanging the picnic in the smoker...... SMOKE... Pittmasters Choice pellets from Todd.... Good smoke flavor.....
Start smoking at ~130 ish to dry the surface to form a pellicle... later will kick it up to 180 ish gradually....
(after the smoke application was done, CLOSE the exhaust to about 5% open... turn the smoker into an oven.. that eliminates the stall... nothing evaporating to cool the meat.. and final smoker temp about 205-210 to get the meat to 165)

.. ..
Lighting... let the flame burn for awhile then blow it out so it smolders... AMNPS in the Mail Box mod....

.. ..
BB later.... gonna smoke this to 154 to 160 Deg. F..... Don't know why... just because.... (Bride said, "Cook to 165")

Last edited:
Reactions: foamheart
6 hours of smoke.... a few more to go....... The AMNPS does a fantastic job of applying even, creosote free smoke... The Pitmasters choice pellets give a smooth, even, not ever bitter flavor... The MB mod provides for consistent smoking... no up or downs...

It looks as if I injected it pretty good..... Meat is pink everywhere... down in the joint... along the bone... out to the edges of the meat...

It took minimal cure, salt and sugar... minimal room in the reefer and I'm gonna say minimum amount of time to cure because the cure had not much farther than an inch or so to travel....

Bride says, "It the moistest ham she's ever had. Better than store bought." That's what I think also....

Soooooooo, this is my new go to ham... takes about 8 days from start to finish.... I'm not gonna cut down on the 7 days I had it in the refer under cure etc..... It's too good to mess with this recipe.....

Honestly.... it's perfect as near as I can tell.... for us anyway..... It probably could use some additional spices in the injection just to kick it up a bit, but for traditional ham.... it's really good.....

The meat just fell off of the bone... The meat segments fell apart... I'm very happy with the results.......

.. ..

Amphos 
thumb1.gif

You da'man!!

I bet you have Velcro shoelaces......ROFLMAO!

Bet there is beans in your house this week too!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky