Pickles, Sourdough and Crawfish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Been a busy day. Got Pickles and SD going first thing this morning. Last batch pickles where pretty good but could use little more heat for me so put about 3/4 pepper in each one. Got kind of busy there for a few as both pickles and SD ready same time.

20210415_111442.jpg 20210415_111456.jpg 20210415_120341.jpg 20210415_120401.jpg

After that done did 5 lbs Crawfish. Went out for some last week and $20 hardly got anything but they where very good. Mine not my best but where good. Hard to figure out seasonings for small batch. I put ice in after 5 minutes and brought down to 160 for 20 minutes and sprinkled seasoning on. Just not that spicy. Almost time for Gretchen and I to meet friends at Brewery.

20210415_141353.jpg

Maybe I have some

e 1618518946353.png :

Last edited:
Looks good! Curious as to the beer as well! I'd trade a twin bing beer for one of yours!

20210311_171907.jpg

Ryan

Pickles look great. I just started making them and am sticking with the basic dill till I get a little better!! Wife loves the homemade ones better than store bought.

I'm jealous. My house sucks.
No pickles, sodium restricted.
No SD bread, wife has wheat allergy
Wife will not try crayfish. Last batch I had at restaurant sucked. Maybe the Busch would win him over?
Sounds like you need a buddy to hang out with once or twice a week. So you can cook up and eat the things you like without worrying about your wife's likes and dislikes. Live a little, life is way too short to give up the things you like because of someone else, yes even your wife.

Been a busy day. Got Pickles and SD going first thing this morning. Last batch pickles where pretty good but could use little more heat for me so put about 3/4 pepper in each one. Got kind of busy there for a few as both pickles and SD ready same time.

View attachment 492785View attachment 492786View attachment 492787View attachment 492788

After that done did 5 lbs Crawfish. Went out for some last week and $20 hardly got anything but they where very good. Mine not my best but where good. Hard to figure out seasonings for small batch. I put ice in after 5 minutes and brought down to 160 for 20 minutes and sprinkled seasoning on. Just not that spicy. Almost time for Gretchen and I to meet friends at Brewery.

View attachment 492789

Maybe I have some

eView attachment 492790:
My brother, that all looks amazing.
Do you sprinkle seasoning on your bugs after they are cooked? We always shake a bunch of seasoning over the bugs before setting them down on the table or tailgate.

Pickles look great. I just started making them and am sticking with the basic dill till I get a little better!! Wife loves the homemade ones better than store bought.
They so easy to make and you can flavor how you like. They come out so crisp.

My brother, that all looks amazing.
Do you sprinkle seasoning on your bugs after they are cooked? We always shake a bunch of seasoning over the bugs before setting them down on the table or tailgate.
Yes. This seasoning a few years old but kept in vacuum bag. I think it time for some new.

Reactions: forktender
Looks good! Curious as to the beer as well! I'd trade a twin bing beer for one of yours!

View attachment 492821

Ryan
Our Brewery into Fruit Slushes and flavored beers with cake, candy and all kinds of weird stuff. I guess it is whats sells. They doing very well but just give me a Porter or Pilsner! That beer sounds good!

ok guys, I need to get to making these pickles. I cant take it anymore!!!

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma SmokinAl SmokinAl I read up on refrigerator pickle methods - looks simple. is that the general principle you use? What is this cuces in ice water bath you speak of? Many thanks!

I learned from Steve H Steve H and he learned from Al. Here how I did last ones. These are kept in fridge.

Here about it.

4 Cups cider vinegar
4 Cups filtered water
1/2 cup of the Ball spice blend
4 chopped Garlic cloves each jar
1/2 sliced Habanero each jar
1/4 cup Monkfruit sweetener
2 lb bag salad cucumbers sliced in half

Soak whole cucumbers in ice bath for 3 hours. Bring liquid, sugar and Ball spice to boil. Put cucumbers, pepper and garlic in jars. Pour hot liquid in jars and vacuum seal. Let set a week. This made about twice as much liquid as was needed for 4 pints.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky