Pickled Turnips.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
After god knows how long of talking about it. I'm making pickled Turnips.

PC100213.jpg

Picked up a few that were nice and solid.

PC100214.jpg

Peeled and trimmed. The smell is tempting me to grab a salt shaker. And start munching.

PC100216.jpg

Rinsed off. Enough to fill 3 pint jars nicely.

PC100217.jpg

Capped and vacuumed.
Recipe:
In a non-reactive pot add:
3 pints cider vinegar.
3 tsp Dill seeds.
2 Tbs pickling salt
2 tsp mustard seed.
Fill each jar to 1/2" of top and seal. Never done these before. So, I'm winging how long the need to sit. After they have cooled they will go in the fridge.

Steve if you vac sealed them in hot brine why refrigerate ?
Richie

This method is not considered shelf stable because they are not actually pasteurized under heat long enough to become shelf stable.

Looks like a good start, Steve!

I don’t vacuum seal mine but after 2-3 days I start eating them and have a pretty good idea how they’ll taste. As long as you like your brine you should be good to go.

Since you vacuum sealed them, I have no idea as to how quickly they are done. That speeds up the process right?

Looks like a good start, Steve!

I don’t vacuum seal mine but after 2-3 days I start eating them and have a pretty good idea how they’ll taste. As long as you like your brine you should be good to go.

Since you vacuum sealed them, I have no idea as to how quickly they are done. That speeds up the process right?

It speeds up the process tremendously. Where it takes a month for pickles. By vacuum sealing the jar. It only takes 3-5 days. So, I may want to try these in a couple of days then.

Eat one now!! Lol.

But yeah after 2-3 days of a normal refrigerator pickle, I start eating them.

I have a jar attachment for my vac seal laying around somewhere (it was my grandfathers)...I just need the hose/tubing. I’m pretty sure I could get that at Lowe’s. I gotta try this.

Reactions: Steve H
have u tried Brovada it's Italian , i'ts pickled turnip in red wine and red wine vinegar.
we fry it and add saugage in the pan,

No, I never heard of it. I'll need to look into that. Thanks.

turnip.jpg

Taste time. I really, really like em. Though I wouldn't use them like pickles. I think. They are great for snacking. They didn't stay as crisp as I thought they would have been. Even with the pickle crisp. Still had a crunch though.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
View attachment 423802

Taste time. I really, really like em. Though I wouldn't use them like pickles. I think. They are great for snacking. They didn't stay as crisp as I thought they would have been. Even with the pickle crisp. Still had a crunch though.

Looks good Steve! I definitely snack on them hard. A jar doesn’t usually last much over 3 weeks since I’ll eat a few at a time.

They soften somewhat over time, but definitely not mushy. I make them as a quick refrigerator pickle. I’ve never vacuum sealed them so I don’t know the effects of that...you’re in uncharted waters friend.

Like!!

Looks good Steve! I definitely snack on them hard. A jar doesn’t usually last much over 3 weeks since I’ll eat a few at a time.

They soften somewhat over time, but definitely not mushy. I make them as a quick refrigerator pickle. I’ve never vacuum sealed them so I don’t know the effects of that...you’re in uncharted waters friend.

Like!!

I'm wondering that as well. My next batch won't get vacuumed. Thanks.

Reactions: xray
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky