Pickled Beets & Eggs new batch fresh from the garden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Picked up some Beets at the local market,3 Beets weighed 5 + pounds

Boiled these for 20 minutes then simmered till toothpick tender,

peeled and cut after cooling.Normally I roast them.

3 Red Onions

Sliced and waiting for the pickle brine

Pickling Brine I use these Tea Balls to hold the pickling spice

This is added to some of the water I saved from boiling the Beets

After bringing to a boil let simmmer for 10 minutes then pour onto the onions

Made 1 1/2 gal in the fridge for the night

Cooked up 40 eggs

Put the eggs in with the beets for another night

Needed some Mason jars so did up another 20 eggs

Layers of Beets,Onions and Eggs

Topped with brine.

These will be ready for Thanks Giving

Thanks for looking

Richie

7 days in the juice

Last edited:
Nice job. I love them with a couple cold beers. My Wife banned me from eating them...She is not happy with my Gastrointestinal Response...
icon_eek.gif
...JJ 

Nice job. I love them with a couple cold beers. My Wife banned me from eating them...She is not happy with my Gastrointestinal Response...
icon_eek.gif
...JJ 
JJ I think that is a big club Banded from Pickled Eggs LOL

Richie

The eggs look great. Didn't see any mention of vinegar. What percentage do you use to the cooking water?
Here is the recipe

Pickled Beets & Eggs

5 lbs. Beets ( Boil till Toothpick tender) save liquid

8 Cups reserved liquid

8 Cups Cider Vinegar

8 Cups Sugar

9 Table spoons Pickling spice

4 1/2 teaspoon salt

3 Medium Large Red Onions ( Optional)

Boile Beets with about 3" of water above till toothpick tender about 40 min these 

took 1 hr.

Above is what I used for this batch Below can be adjusted to the amount you are making

Brine 

2 cups reserved Beet juice

2 cups Cider Vinegar 5% acidity

2 cups sugar 

3 Table spoons Pickling spice (store bought)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

I always add extra Juniper Beeries,whole Allspice and some Cloves

Thanks for the kind words

Richie

Last edited:

Looks great!

How long do pickled eggs keep?
They last a long time but after a month or two, I find they start to get Rubbery and a bit tough. Still tasty and fine to eat just texturally different. 

Just a note: If Fresh Beets are not available or you want to save time, Canned Sliced Beets with the liquid work just as well. One 14oz Can is the equivalent of one Large Beet and about 1/2C liquid (cheapo brands have the most). You can add water if needed...JJ

Last edited:
Nice Job, Richie!!
icon14.gif

Those looks Great, and Must be Mighty Tasty!!!
drool.gif
-------------
points.gif

I cheat:

We (Mostly Mrs Bear) eat store bought Pickled Beets from Amish Country.

then when the beets are gone, Mrs Bear Hard Boils enough Eggs to refill the jars for me.

We reuse the juice about 3 times before chucking it.

Bear

They last a long time but after a month or two, I find they start to get Rubbery and a bit tough. Still tasty and fine to eat just texturally different. 

Just a note: If Fresh Beets are not available or you want to save time, Canned Sliced Beets with the liquid work just as well. One 14oz Can is the equivalent of one Large Beet and about 1/2C liquid (cheapo brands have the most). You can add water if needed...JJ
JJ Thanks the rubbery part I don't mind,that is why I did not mention it.Most time I have certain friends I do give a jar and get it back like really quick LOL. The store bought pickled beets worked when I lived in an apartment.

Richie

Nice Job, Richie!!
icon14.gif

Those looks Great, and Must be Mighty Tasty!!!
drool.gif
-------------
points.gif

I cheat:

We (Mostly Mrs Bear) eat store bought Pickled Beets from Amish Country.

then when the beets are gone, Mrs Bear Hard Boils enough Eggs to refill the jars for me.

We reuse the juice about 3 times before chucking it.

Bear
Nothing wrong with the ones you posted on a plate.Thanks for the point Brother I appreciate it.

Richie

Looks great!

How long do pickled eggs keep?

JJ Can't get any fresher then these LOL 

My first time growing Beets

Some big ones

8 Beets made 2 very full 1/2 gal jugs

Richie

Nice! I hope to get a garden in next year. Now If I could only get the move completed...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky