Pickled and I hope. Hot sausage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
And this will be round three on my pickled hot sausage venture. My first go was with the Penrose sausage recipe. While they were ok. They just didn't meet my expectations. My second go was more hot spices. Again better then the first. And after they set for a month they were very close to what I wanted. Now for my 3rd attempt I did the following:
Three packs of Johnsonville pork kielbasa cut in half and packed in two 1 quarts jars.
For the brine:
1 quart cider vinegar
3/4 cup Franks hot sauce
2 tsp dried minced onions
2 tbs red pepper flakes
2 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs white pepper. Or black. I was out of the latter.
2 tsp franks dried spice
2 tsp powdered garlic
2 tbs sea salt

All these go into a non-reactive pot and brought to a boil. If you follow this recipe please be sure to have either your range vent on high and/or a window open. The fumes were practically military in nature. Think tear gas! And poured into each jar leaving a 1/2" head space. I'm letting these set for a month, I hope

P5022144.JPG
P5022141.JPG
P5022145.JPG

they are looking good, been a while sense I had some pickled sausage, got me thinking of the old bar day's, they always tasted better after a couple of beer's,

Did you use little smokies in previous recipes or kielbas. I used little smokies but will try this one with the kielbasa

My first go at it was the lil smokies. My second was with whole Johnsonville Kielbasa. The last one was with the Johnsonville Kielbasa. But I cut them in half this time.

kielbasa.jpg

P.S. I'm also thinking about doing some pickled eggs. Used to get those out of a huge jar sitting on the counter of the little country store I went to as a kid. God I loved those things :-)

P.S. I'm also thinking about doing some pickled eggs. Used to get those out of a huge jar sitting on the counter of the little country store I went to as a kid. God I loved those things :-)

I bet this brine would work well with eggs too.

Sorry so late to be jumping into this fracas but I decided to make some spicy pickled garlic. I have about a hundred cloves of fresh garlic that went into the brine about 2 hours ago. These should be really good!!
006.jpg

Now for the long wait.....
Robert

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky