Pickle Loaf and Jalapeno White cheddar Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, that is some great looking stuff!
Thanks . I appreciate the comment .
I don't think I've had pickle loaf, but I made spam yesterday and this looks similar.
I've always known it as pickle loaf , but they sell it as Pimento loaf , Pepper loaf , Pickle and pepper loaf . Eckrich has a good one .
Nothing like Spam at all . One pass through the 1/8" plate did pretty good , but it should be emulsified .
The SS iwth the white cheddar looks great! I bought some of those cloth bags to make pork roll, they look good. I wonder if you can wash, boil, and reuse them?
I went for the different colors on the SS . Red and green Jalapenos , plus the white cheddar horseradish cheese looks and taste fantastic in this .
Bags are a one and done use . I love 'em though .
Marianski's new book and kabanosy, lead me to believe maybe he didnt publish accurate info in his Home Production?
I use all that as an idea . I don't get that far into any of it and most of what I do is an adaption of his recipes .
I pay more attention to his smoking and cooking method .
I did do his Krakow that I followed pretty close , and his comment about pre curing chunks before grinding is legit . I've only done it once , because it takes an extra step . I need to make a plan for it in the future .
Thanks for the interest .

Reactions: Dave in AZ
All look great Rich, but interested in the pickle loaf, cause I love sweet relish, plus make my own different kinds of relish.
Thanks David . I've been wanting to try this for awhile . I did a test a couple weeks ago on Spam . Just salt and cure for the weight of the meat . Used and old butter tub for a mold . Poached on the stove .
Came out really good . You could add spice to it or any cheese or peppers too . Might be the way to go .
20221031_071903.jpg
20221031_073604.jpg

enomenal piece of work Rich,
Thank you Ray .
flying by the seat of your pants and showing true creativity! I liked pimento loaf sanny's as a kid, haven't had one in ages, I'd be all over that! RAY
It's an informed flight for sure . Done enough of this I know what it needs by looking at it . Salt and cure are always weighed in the correct amounts for the weight of the meat .
If you like pickle loaf , this is an exact match for the taste .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Very nice Rich. I'll have to give this loaf a try.
Thanks Joe . All comes from paying attention and watching what some long time members do and getting the answer myself . Limit the resources to this site , Marianski and Poli . Compare the 3 and find what they have in common . Really made my end results great , and that in turn makes it fun .
Thanks for sharing.
Yup . I was doing multiple things at the same time . I need to do a dedicated loaf . The spam was a test , and I used potato starch on that . The pickle loaf was NFDM because I was using it in the SS .
I think the next pickle loaf will be one pass through 1/8" plate then a spin in the food processor . STPP added in some amount . Stuffed in water proof casings and poached .

Rich that all looks amazing!! I have always loved pickle loaf. I know your summer sausage has to be great because I have had the ss you coached zwiller zwiller on. Awesome.
Thanks Jeff . This has the classic taste . As soon as I opened the jar of pimentos I knew that's where the flavor came from .

Sam does a great job on all his efforts .

Reactions: jcam222 and zwiller
All your goodies look excellent !
Thank you sir . The pickle loaf is a keeper . I'll be doing it in 1 pound hunks . This one was 2 pounds . Don't want to have to freeze it .
Just had some of the SS . Couple days in the fridge is perfect . Really picked up some flavor and the color is better .

Last edited:
Both of those pictures look just like canned meat,
The spam was one pass thru the 1/4 " plate . Potato starch for the binder . I pretty much looked up the ingredients in Spam and went with that . I did add a touch of brown sugar . Some type of sugar will aid in browning . Dextrose would work good .

The pickle loaf was one pass thru the 1/8 " plate . It should be emulsified , but it was pretty good like that . NFDM for the binder .
I'm going thru the pickle loaf pretty fast . Makes a great sandwich .

Get something for a mould , and try a couple things .

Hey Chop, I've got a couple of cans of Spam around, and I'm wondering if the cans could be saved and re-used for a mold? The inside of them is obviously food-safe, it would be the outside paint that would be in question. ??

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Hey Chop, I've got a couple of cans of Spam around, and I'm wondering if the cans could be saved and re-used for a mold? The inside of them is obviously food-safe, it would be the outside paint that would be in question. ??
You could totally do that! Just vac seal the can and toss in the sous vide!
I bought 2 cans of spam yesterday, to compare to my homemade. One of their jalapeno, and one from Armour called Treet. Will reuse the cans as you said!

Yup , that's it . Never had the Boar's head , but I bet it's good .
I'm ready to make some more .

I used to love pickled pimento loaf and it's been quite some time since I had it. Yours looks excellent Rich! I really love the uncased sticks too, never pushed meat through the stuffer without some kind of casing on the horn, I like the convenience of that.

I used to love pickled pimento loaf and it's been quite some time since I had it.
Joe this had that classic taste . It's really good . I've been making sandwiches with it .
I really love the uncased sticks too, never pushed meat through the stuffer without some kind of casing on the horn,
It's a good way to do it . If you try it go up a size in the horn since you're not expanding a casing . Otherwise they'll be pretty small .
Thanks for lookin bud .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky