Pickle juice a cheap substitute for Worcestershire sauce...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

canadianbacon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
So I was looking at the ingredients and Worcestershire sauce and It seems so be pretty similar to pickle juice.
[h1]Worcestershire [/h1]
[h1]  [/h1]
Pickle Juice is knows to contain cloves, salt sugar vinegar and of course pickles. 

I'm going to be adding pickle juice in my batch of jerky instead of Worcestershire sauce this weekend in my brine and see how different it is.

Anyone try this??? Seems like a cheaper alternative to me when you have a jar of pickles in the fridge. 

Pickle juice doesn't taste anywhere near Worchestershire. I suppose if you doctored it up you might get close. Probably be a bit dilly. I can buy worchestershire cheaper than pickles at our restaurant supply. I've been packing this recipe around for ever but haven't made it:

2 cups distilled white vinegar
1⁄2 cup molasses
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup tamarind concentrate
3 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
3 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 tsp. whole cloves
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
5 cardamom pods, smashed
4 chiles de árbol, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1" stick cinnamon
1 anchovy, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 1⁄2" piece ginger, peeled
and crushed
1⁄2 cup sugar

1. Combine all ingredients except the sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan; boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat until it becomes dark amber and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Add caramelized sugar to vinegar mixture and whisk to combine; cook sauce for 5 minutes; transfer sauce to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.

3. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 weeks; strain to remove solids; return to jar. Refrigerate for up to 8 months.

The key to Worcestershire sauce is the fish and/or the soy. Melt some anchovy paste in your pickle juice or add some fish sauce and you'll be a lot closer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky