Picked this up at Aldi's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Yes preseasoned but had some luck with preseasoned before. Anyone with experience on this. Anyone care to break the various labels down.
Mechanically tenderized
Cont 12%
Premium Angus "note not prime?"
20180926_163456.jpg 20180926_163449.jpg 20180926_163441.jpg 20180926_163456.jpg 20180926_163449.jpg 20180926_163441.jpg
Plan on adding a little heat in form of cajun. Smoke to 125. Grill to 135 or so.

I'm guessing mechanically tenderized means they ran it through a tenderizing machine but not positive.

The Angus label they use is not Certified Angus Beef (CAB) so I'm not sure what it is grade wise. CAB would be choice cut to prime quality passing the Angus standards and from an Angus cow (someone please correct me if I misstated any of this).

12% Sln (and on the front of the label says this) means the package contains "12% water, potassium lactate, and seasoning blend". So 12% of what you are buying is not meat it is solution.

I think the way you plan to cook it should be fine. Enjoy it! :)

Is it imported? May be why the label is not standard. Not familiar with Aldi and Lidl meats.

Mechanically tenderized could be the pump it self . I think it means that the surface of whole muscle meat has been penetrated . So in this case I'm guessing they are talking about the injection needle .

Mechanically tenderized is when the meat is pierced with either blades or needles. Sometimes it is also injected with some type of flavoring.

Chris

Is it imported? May be why the label is not standard. Not familiar with Aldi and Lidl meats.

In my area, Aldi are cut rate "super value" stores.

I've looked over thier meat several times and gave a hard pass. But aldi stores in better areas may have better inventory. My local ones are rough

Reactions: humdinger
Thank you gentlmen. I have bought their salt and pepper brisket point before and they are pretty dang good, straight eating and cubing up for chillie.

Aldi owns Trader Joes and while there is some cut rate stuff, there are some hidden jems. I like the place. Mine (currently closed and being expanded) has killer breads, authentic german stuff, and always have better seasonal things than most. IE pumpkins this time of year. Not tried the meats yet tho. It is my understanding they really dial in to the local preferences and each location has different stuff like FiveTricks says. In the past mine was rough too but not anymore.

$5/lb... I'd hit that. No stores around me carry tri tip. Search tri tip here and there are some guys that have a different spin on it, basically it's a no fail brisket.

oh wow. Apparently the Aldi's experience is much different depending on where you go. The ones in my area are more like a Save-A-Lot. None of that interesting stuff you mentioned

Yes preseasoned but had some luck with preseasoned before. Anyone with experience on this. Anyone care to break the various labels down.
Mechanically tenderized
Cont 12%
Premium Angus "note not prime?"
Plan on adding a little heat in form of cajun. Smoke to 125. Grill to 135 or so.
Be sure to watch the salt content of whatever you're adding......the 12% solution previously injected during processing should have all the salts and phosphates you'd need. Any herbs and spices you add should be fine, just be careful not unintentionally add too much more salt.

oh wow. Apparently the Aldi's experience is much different depending on where you go. The ones in my area are more like a Save-A-Lot. None of that interesting stuff you mentioned

These stores are more savvy than people think. I think they try things and see if it works and then develop it. Mine is gonna be competing head to head with Kroger and Meijer now. It's HUGE. Not sure if yours does but our Save-a-lot has an old school in house butcher and made Dad loves it. Plan to try it out.

Be sure to watch the salt content of whatever you're adding......the 12% solution previously injected during processing should have all the salts and phosphates you'd need. Any herbs and spices you add should be fine, just be careful not unintentionally add too much more salt.

Good points and I'm glad u pointed it out. My normal Cajun and several others have salt added.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky