Picanhapalooza: Two Great Meals (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple weeks ago I posted a Picanha roast I did for the 49'ers and Eagles playoff game. That roast was truly amazing. Well, my birthday was the following week and Tracy asked what I wanted for my birthday. I thought about it for about 1 1/2 seconds and said "a case of those CPB Picanha roasts". She said to go for it, so I did. Sent Joe an email and a few days later the big brown truck showed up bearing tidings of joy.

12 beautiful and joyous roasts. Do these look familiar SmokinAl SmokinAl ?
001.jpg

Being that I just recently posted a similar thread, only a few pics of this one. The last one was done on the Rec Tec, this one was done on my cabinet smoker with cherry wood.
002.jpg

003.jpg

Plated with a little salad and some orzo, which was made using beef broth instead of water then tossed with butter and sliced green onions. That stuff was really good!!
004.jpg

Now to dinner last night with the leftovers from the roast. Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) this one is for you my brother :emoji_laughing: Time was short so had to come up with something in a hurry.

Trimmed the remaining fat cap off and shaved thin. A really nice pile of meat.
005.jpg

A bunch of sliced onions into the big skillet with lots of butter and some minced garlic.
006.jpg

Cook the onions till they just start getting soft and add a couple tablespoons of AP flour.
007.jpg

Mix the flour and onions then add beef broth, a dollop of BTB beef base, and a copious amount of black pepper.
008.jpg

Simmer on low till you have a nice consistency for gravy...of course, there needs to be gravy along with almost everything :emoji_laughing:
009.jpg

Once you have the right consistency, add the shaved Picanha into the skillet.
010.jpg

Mix it all up really well and you have a horrid looking skillet full of heart-warming comfort food.
011.jpg

Of course something like this just isn't complete without a homemade batch of sour cream, garlic, and chive mashed potatoes.
012.jpg

A mountain of mashed potatoes smothered with the meat, gravy, onions, and a sprinkle of parsley....OMG!!
013.jpg

Not a very involved dinner but man was it ever good!! With a cold front moving in and the weather turning nasty again, this was the perfect meal. Not much on the plate but this one really didn't need anything else. A light smokey flavor on the meat coupled with the gravy and all those onions was pretty much off the charts. Thank God we have enough leftovers for another meal. Tracy is thinking sliders on some sour cream and onion rolls, which are pretty much always on hand. I'm not gonna argue with her on this one :emoji_wink:

Well thanks for dropping in and braving what is overall a pretty simple thread but some really good food. Take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody in a bit. Got some work to do in the garage on the latest metal fab project.

Robert

Looks great Robert. I'd be all over the last nights leftovers plate.

Point for sure
Chris

Great score on the dozen. Even better prep. Love the 2nd round, pure delicious comfort Robert!

Nice Robert, I have to find Picanha again. First time I over cooked it ad it was really tough. I thought for sure the second meal was going to end up on a roll like a french dip. All looks great.

:emoji_heart_eyes: ... need I say more?
That looks plain delicious! Just be hard pressed to beat that meal!

Ryan

A couple weeks ago I posted a Picanha roast I did for the 49'ers and Eagles playoff game. That roast was truly amazing. Well, my birthday was the following week and Tracy asked what I wanted for my birthday. I thought about it for about 1 1/2 seconds and said "a case of those CPB Picanha roasts". She said to go for it, so I did. Sent Joe an email and a few days later the big brown truck showed up bearing tidings of joy.

12 beautiful and joyous roasts. Do these look familiar SmokinAl SmokinAl ?
View attachment 657908

Being that I just recently posted a similar thread, only a few pics of this one. The last one was done on the Rec Tec, this one was done on my cabinet smoker with cherry wood.
View attachment 657909
View attachment 657910

Plated with a little salad and some orzo, which was made using beef broth instead of water then tossed with butter and sliced green onions. That stuff was really good!!
View attachment 657911

Now to dinner last night with the leftovers from the roast. Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) this one is for you my brother :emoji_laughing: Time was short so had to come up with something in a hurry.

Trimmed the remaining fat cap off and shaved thin. A really nice pile of meat.
View attachment 657912

A bunch of sliced onions into the big skillet with lots of butter and some minced garlic.
View attachment 657916

Cook the onions till they just start getting soft and add a couple tablespoons of AP flour.
View attachment 657917

Mix the flour and onions then add beef broth, a dollop of BTB beef base, and a copious amount of black pepper.
View attachment 657918

Simmer on low till you have a nice consistency for gravy...of course, there needs to be gravy along with almost everything :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 657919

Once you have the right consistency, add the shaved Picanha into the skillet.
View attachment 657920

Mix it all up really well and you have a horrid looking skillet full of heart-warming comfort food.
View attachment 657921

Of course something like this just isn't complete without a homemade batch of sour cream, garlic, and chive mashed potatoes.
View attachment 657922

A mountain of mashed potatoes smothered with the meat, gravy, onions, and a sprinkle of parsley....OMG!!
View attachment 657923

Not a very involved dinner but man was it ever good!! With a cold front moving in and the weather turning nasty again, this was the perfect meal. Not much on the plate but this one really didn't need anything else. A light smokey flavor on the meat coupled with the gravy and all those onions was pretty much off the charts. Thank God we have enough leftovers for another meal. Tracy is thinking sliders on some sour cream and onion rolls, which are pretty much always on hand. I'm not gonna argue with her on this one :emoji_wink:

Well thanks for dropping in and braving what is overall a pretty simple thread but some really good food. Take care, stay safe, and I'll see everybody in a bit. Got some work to do in the garage on the latest metal fab project.

Robert
that looks good both ways. i got to work on my photography. my pictures suck

That's a lot of beef Robert! You must be buying them by the CASE! LOL!! Awesome cooks my friend!
Thanks Keith, and yes it's a lot of beef. For the past several years I've had access to buying wholesale from CPB and whatever I get is in quantity. Can't get one roast or just a couple steaks. It's a big chunk up front but in the long run it saves a ton of money and we always have a mother lode of meat on hand.

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks great Robert. I'd be all over the last nights leftovers plate.
Appreciate it Chris. For some reason I had a feeling that the leftover meal would garner more attention than the original one.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky