Phosphate f-31 how do i use it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matlocc

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Bay City Mich
I have a bag of this and it says for sausage emulsion. It says, 6 to 8 oz per 100lbs. I never make that much. I usually do 5lbs or a bit more. I figure 2 and a half tsp per 5lbs. (Light on the 1/2 tsp.Is this better tan dry milk. Any help is appreciated.

Kent butcher supply, Grand rapids, mich.
Phosphate is generally added at 0.3-0.5% of meat weight. I generally use at 0.4%. So begs the question, do you have a gram scale?
Per 5# of meat that would be about 9g. Sorry I’m no help with Tbs, and tsp.

Any help is appreciated.
Depending on what I'm making , I like NFDM better . If I do use it in something like hot dogs I use it at about half the recommended rate .

I figure 2 and a half tsp per 5lbs.
That's a good number .
When I have the same question I go to Len Poli's site . I find formulas that he uses Phosphates in , and take note of how much he uses . I compare 3 or 4 of his to double check for repetition .
Personally I reduce down from there .
I just looked at a couple , and he's using 1 Tablespoon ( 3 tsp ) per 5 pounds . So you're right there .

Phosphate is generally added at 0.3-0.5% of meat weight. I generally use at 0.4%. So begs the question, do you have a gram scale?
Per 5# of meat that would be about 9g. Sorry I’m no help with Tbs, and tsp.

Now it's time to check my math. If the instructions call for 6 to 8 ounces per 100 pounds, would the range be:

1.7g per pound -to- 2.3g per pound?

Or 8.5g per 5 pounds -to- 11.5g per 5 pounds?

That is the same way I do my math. You are correct. And this is basically in that 0.3-0.5% range typical of phosphate addition. (6-8oz. Per 100# meat.) You can also add 6oz. Per gallon of water as brine and inject.

Now it's time to check my math. If the instructions call for 6 to 8 ounces per 100 pounds, would the range be:

1.7g per pound -to- 2.3g per pound?

Or 8.5g per 5 pounds -to- 11.5g per 5 pounds?

Reactions: thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky