Philly Style Pulled Pork Sandwiches Q-VIEW (Bear View) Extremely Pic Heavy, long post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow SQWIB this is one of the bast post i saw.  so  organized   with all the equipment    . 

and what a feast you cooked my Friend well done .

lovely girls all 3 of them probably they said when you took the photo dad stop it. i also got 2 girls.

thank for sharing your feast with us

Getting the bags in that slit was the first hint, because I discovered it was harder to get them in that slit after the first 10 or 15 sealings. Hopefully you won't have that problem, but if you do, just shut it off awhile to let it cool. Then see if the bags go in the slit easier.

Thanks again for such a great thread!!

Bear

Thanks Bear.

Haven't had any issues other than sometimes its a PITA getting the bags in that little slit.

drool.gif
Took 20 min to read.Darn you
icon_rolleyes.gif
 i am going to have to stop phone posting and get a camera.

I wanted to register right now so that I could reply to this thread with: "HOLY AWESOME THREAD!" 

We just got a smoker last week, and I keep looking all throughout the internets for tips/recipes, etc.  I think my first smoked pork shoulder just might be your "Philly Style", SQWIB. Looks so, so good. It's so great that you took the time to show this to us all.

SQWIB, I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS THIS TREAD IS!!! AS A PROFESSIONAL CHEF,I HAVE REVIEWED YOUR WORK AND FRANKLY I AM ASHAMED!!!!

It is Ridiculous how thoroughly you detailed every step with such perfection, great info, fabulous recipes and pro photography! I'm ashamed I have never posted anything this awesome! Thanks Bro, you're the man!...JJ
77.gif

Wow SQWIB this is one of the bast post i saw.  so  organized   with all the equipment    . 

and what a feast you cooked my Friend well done .

lovely girls all 3 of them probably they said when you took the photo dad stop it. i also got 2 girls.

thank for sharing your feast with us
Thank you

I have been showing the oldest how to prep meats and trying to get my other daughter and son more into this type of cooking

Getting the bags in that slit was the first hint, because I discovered it was harder to get them in that slit after the first 10 or 15 sealings. Hopefully you won't have that problem, but if you do, just shut it off awhile to let it cool. Then see if the bags go in the slit easier.

Thanks again for such a great thread!!

Bear

Will do and I gotta laugh at how much bag is lost for it to seal, tell me that wasn't a marketing strategy.

hell of a job

Thank you

drool.gif
Took 20 min to read.Darn you
icon_rolleyes.gif
 i am going to have to stop phone posting and get a camera.
Do it man! we love pictures

I wanted to register right now so that I could reply to this thread with: "HOLY AWESOME THREAD!" 

We just got a smoker last week, and I keep looking all throughout the internets for tips/recipes, etc.  I think my first smoked pork shoulder just might be your "Philly Style", SQWIB. Looks so, so good. It's so great that you took the time to show this to us all.
Thank you, and I am honored that I am your first post,

Just watch the salt, you may want to half what I have in the recipe or use a low sodium broth, especially if your cooking for any one watching their salt intake.

You may want to beef up the pepper a bit too, I usually go light on the pepper for my family but if it was for a party I would have nearly doubled the pepper.

SQWIB, I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS THIS TREAD IS!!! AS A PROFESSIONAL CHEF,I HAVE REVIEWED YOUR WORK AND FRANKLY I AM ASHAMED!!!!

It is Ridiculous how thoroughly you detailed every step with such perfection, great info, fabulous recipes and pro photography! I'm ashamed I have never posted anything this awesome! Thanks Bro, you're the man!...JJ
77.gif
Wow. you guys are very gracious, I really appreciate the kind comments.

SQWIB,,,

sammies looked the best..

Reading your first post took 19 minutes.

reading EVERYONES  post added another 8 minutes..

Great post , loved all the pics. was my own personal tutorial...

Thanks for taking the time time to post all that..

Again,,,, GREAT JOB!!!!

Wow what a Excellent post SQWIB....Great detail and awesome finished meals!!! It feels like i spent a few day smoking with you reading the thread!!!You have raised the bar for Q-Views with this Jewel!!! Thanks for the ride and all those Recipes ...
77.gif

Thank you, and I am honored that I am your first post,

Just watch the salt, you may want to half what I have in the recipe or use a low sodium broth, especially if your cooking for any one watching their salt intake.

You may want to beef up the pepper a bit too, I usually go light on the pepper for my family but if it was for a party I would have nearly doubled the pepper.
I just wanted to update that your Philly Style pork shoulder has been our project since Thursday. Rubbed it before bed Thursday, got up at 2 freakin' 30 in the morning today to start everything...

And it was SO WORTH IT.
banana_smiley.gif

We didn't make a finishing sauce, but we had some leftover homemade BBQ sauce that we used on it. I need to think about what kind of finishing sauce I would even like, LOL.

All ready for inhalation:

941baa2a_30020.jpg

My late lunch:

a7c8624b_30026.jpg

The fiance's late lunch:

262de3dc_30047.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, SQWIB! Our first pork smoke was a delightful experience thanks to this thread and the ability to keep referencing back to it. <3

Sorry guys don't know how I missed this

I just wanted to update that your Philly Style pork shoulder has been our project since Thursday. Rubbed it before bed Thursday, got up at 2 freakin' 30 in the morning today to start everything...

And it was SO WORTH IT.
banana_smiley.gif

We didn't make a finishing sauce, but we had some leftover homemade BBQ sauce that we used on it. I need to think about what kind of finishing sauce I would even like, LOL.

All ready for inhalation:

941baa2a_30020.jpg

My late lunch:

a7c8624b_30026.jpg

The fiance's late lunch:

262de3dc_30047.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, SQWIB! Our first pork smoke was a delightful experience thanks to this thread and the ability to keep referencing back to it. <3

Looking good

SQWIB,,,

sammies looked the best..

Reading your first post took 19 minutes.

reading EVERYONES  post added another 8 minutes..

Great post , loved all the pics. was my own personal tutorial...

Thanks for taking the time time to post all that..

Again,,,, GREAT JOB!!!!
Thankyou

Wow what a Excellent post SQWIB....Great detail and awesome finished meals!!! It feels like i spent a few day smoking with you reading the thread!!!You have raised the bar for Q-Views with this Jewel!!! Thanks for the ride and all those Recipes ...
77.gif
My Pleasure.

WOW SQWIB!

That looked great! I can't wait to get my big smoker together so I can smoke up a feast like that (if it is possible)!

man, awesome thread sqwib!  this may be what I try for my first butt....that finishing sauce looks sooooo good...you've made me very hungry! lol

I was searching the web for a recipe that mimics DiNics roast pork or pulled pork sandwich and found the actual recipe. What I don't understand about the recipe is that it says to pull the pork butt ay 160. From my experience with pork shoulder...it's not pulling at that temp. have you seen this recipe that I'm talking about? I definitely am going to follow your recipe step by step because I have been craving this sandwich since I first had it in Philly this summer. Great post. I knew this would be the place to find the answers I've been looking for. Again, epic thread!

I was searching the web for a recipe that mimics DiNics roast pork or pulled pork sandwich and found the actual recipe. What I don't understand about the recipe is that it says to pull the pork butt ay 160. From my experience with pork shoulder...it's not pulling at that temp. have you seen this recipe that I'm talking about? I definitely am going to follow your recipe step by step because I have been craving this sandwich since I first had it in Philly this summer. Great post. I knew this would be the place to find the answers I've been looking for. Again, epic thread!
I think you may be talking about Tommy D's Roast Pork sandwich. This recipe is not a copy cat of Tommy's Pork Sandwich (I hope I did not mention that it was anywhere)

And when they say pull it, they mean remove from the heat, I am guessing.

The recipes I tried here were recipes I have tossed around in my head for a while, the Philly Style was basically an Italian spice hybrid type mix, I wanted a change from the traditional (I use that word loosely) Paprika, Brown Sugar rub so many folks on SMF use.

The Goat cheese recipe was discussed with a chef when at a luncheon on the Battleship New Jersey, I picked his brain about the stuffed pork loin that he served and that's where I got the idea for the sandwich.

The other recipes are just generic toppings.

As far as the Roast Pork goes;

You can try a roast pork using a pork loin, make sure to brine for 48 hours and cook to 140° (safe Internal Temp is 145°), save drippings, foil then cool in refrigerator and slice the next day, simply amazing.

Your brine is the most important step to getting a flavorful thinly sliced pork, if you skip this step, the results are not the same, trust me! You will know your brine was effective when you take a  slice from the center, pop it in your mouth and your eyes roll in the back of your head like when a shark eats.
biggrin.gif

If you mess up, no worries, toss it in a steamer pan with some dressed up gravy and you are GOLD!

Last edited:
You can try this if you want to try the pulled pork, I have done similar to this with great results in my Dutch Oven.

Recipe Taken from Superfancychef.com

Dinic’s Italian Style Pulled Pork Sandwich – The Best Sandwich EVER

makes six sandwiches

Pulled Pork Ingredients

1 4-Pound Bone in “picnic” Pork Roast

1 Cup Broth

Brine:

5 Rosemary Sprigs

1 Fennel Bulb, Thinly Sliced

1 White Onion, Thinly Sliced

3 Celery Ribs, Chopped

6 Garlic Cloves, Diced

3 TB Apple Cider Vinegar

2 TB Fennel Seeds

Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper

Pulled Pork Instructions

Combine all the brine ingredients with the pork shoulder in a bag and massage it like you mean it for about two minutes, then refrigerate overnight. Combine the contents of your brine bag, and the broth into a Dutch oven or large covered pot. Roast in the oven at 275° for about 3 ½ hours or until the internal temperature 190°, remove from the oven and uncover and allow to rest for about 30 minutes before pulling. Remove the roast from the pot and the drippings and broth on low, re-adding the pulled pork as it surrenders itself to you. Keep it warm while you prepare the broccoli rabe and assemble the rest of your sandwiches. To roast the peppers, place them directly on your stovetop burner until charred, once charred let them sauna it up in a Ziploc bag until you can easily peel their skins off. I intended to use Cubanelle Peppers.

Broccoli Rabe Ingredients

2 Bunches of Broccoli Rabe (Rapini)

2 Shallots

6 Garlic Cloves

2 TB Red Pepper Flakes

½ Cup Olive Oil (Give or take some)

Broccoli Rabe Instructions

Wash and rough chop the broccoli rabe. Finely dice the shallot and garlic. Boil about 1 ½ cups of water in a sauté pan, add the broccoli rabe until it turns dark green and then remove it from the heat. (It will only take a few seconds and you’ll want to shuffle the pieces around to make sure they all get cooked). Once you have pressed most of the water from the greens, warm the olive oil and add first the shallots, then the garlic, then the greens and red pepper flakes, give a quick stir and then cover for ten minutes, only checking it if the pan starts making apocalyptic threats.  You want the greens to get extra soft, once they are done, season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

Sandwich Ingredients

Italian Sweet Roll

Sliced Sharp Provolone

Italian Pulled Pork

Broccoli Rabe

Roasted Peppers

Sandwich Assembly Instructions

Slice the roll lengthwise, line with sharp provolone. Pile in Pulled Pork and spoon over a little extra broth. Add in the broccoli Rabe and Roasted Peppers. Eat immediately without hesitation or regrets.

You can try this if you want to try the pulled pork, I have done similar to this with great results in my Dutch Oven.

Recipe Taken from Superfancychef.com

Dinic’s Italian Style Pulled Pork Sandwich – The Best Sandwich EVER
makes six sandwiches

Pulled Pork Ingredients
1 4-Pound Bone in “picnic” Pork Roast
1 Cup Broth

Brine:
5 Rosemary Sprigs
1 Fennel Bulb, Thinly Sliced
1 White Onion, Thinly Sliced
3 Celery Ribs, Chopped
6 Garlic Cloves, Diced
3 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
2 TB Fennel Seeds
Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper

Pulled Pork Instructions
Combine all the brine ingredients with the pork shoulder in a bag and massage it like you mean it for about two minutes, then refrigerate overnight. Combine the contents of your brine bag, and the broth into a Dutch oven or large covered pot. Roast in the oven at 275° for about 3 ½ hours or until the internal temperature 190°, remove from the oven and uncover and allow to rest for about 30 minutes before pulling. Remove the roast from the pot and the drippings and broth on low, re-adding the pulled pork as it surrenders itself to you. Keep it warm while you prepare the broccoli rabe and assemble the rest of your sandwiches. To roast the peppers, place them directly on your stovetop burner until charred, once charred let them sauna it up in a Ziploc bag until you can easily peel their skins off. I intended to use Cubanelle Peppers.

Broccoli Rabe Ingredients
2 Bunches of Broccoli Rabe (Rapini)
2 Shallots
6 Garlic Cloves
2 TB Red Pepper Flakes
½ Cup Olive Oil (Give or take some)

Broccoli Rabe Instructions
Wash and rough chop the broccoli rabe. Finely dice the shallot and garlic. Boil about 1 ½ cups of water in a sauté pan, add the broccoli rabe until it turns dark green and then remove it from the heat. (It will only take a few seconds and you’ll want to shuffle the pieces around to make sure they all get cooked). Once you have pressed most of the water from the greens, warm the olive oil and add first the shallots, then the garlic, then the greens and red pepper flakes, give a quick stir and then cover for ten minutes, only checking it if the pan starts making apocalyptic threats.  You want the greens to get extra soft, once they are done, season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

Sandwich Ingredients
Italian Sweet Roll
Sliced Sharp Provolone
Italian Pulled Pork
Broccoli Rabe
Roasted Peppers

Sandwich Assembly Instructions

Slice the roll lengthwise, line with sharp provolone. Pile in Pulled Pork and spoon over a little extra broth. Add in the broccoli Rabe and Roasted Peppers. Eat immediately without hesitation or regrets.

Thanks so much for all the info. The recipe I was originally talking about is more like the pulled pork recipe you just posted. DiNics sells
Two kinds of pork... The roast pork from the loin and the Italian style pulled pork from the butt. You have gone me so much to try haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky