Philadelphia Scrapple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm gonna have to try homemade scrapple.  I have smoked store bought or butcher bought before...

I haven't been to Zern's in a few years.  Do you guys remember the old man by the barber that wore the lade legs glasses and used to tell everyone that he could see through clothes with them?  My bro lives in Douglassville and takes his son there every couple of weeks to get his hair cut...

What's 20 feet long and has 4 teeth????

The funnel cake line at Zern's!

I miss the hot nut stands!  Might have to run up some Saturday night!

I'm gonna have to try homemade scrapple.  I have smoked store bought or butcher bought before...

I haven't been to Zern's in a few years.  Do you guys remember the old man by the barber that wore the lade legs glasses and used to tell everyone that he could see through clothes with them?  My bro lives in Douglassville and takes his son there every couple of weeks to get his hair cut...

What's 20 feet long and has 4 teeth????

The funnel cake line at Zern's!

I miss the hot nut stands!  Might have to run up some Saturday night!
LOL that's funny---I heard about that guy!!!   
icon_eek.gif

I get lost when we go there---Need some trees in there, with moss on them!

Mrs. Bear, "Which way do we go?"

Bear, "Duhhhhh".  
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

I'm full on with my winter bacon project and trying different experiments, I wonder how a cured belly would be in making homemade scrapple?? Instead of using pork shoulder, grind up a cured belly for the meat, it would be like bacon scrapple!  I guess you could do it with or without smoke, but it would have to be a cold smoke so that the meat would still need cooking in the scrapple process.

Last edited:
I'm full on with my winter bacon project and trying different experiments, I wonder how a cured belly would be in making homemade scrapple?? Instead of using pork shoulder, grind up a cured belly for the meat, it would be like bacon scrapple!  I guess you could do it with or without smoke, but it would have to be a cold smoke so that the meat would still need cooking in the scrapple process.
Hmmmm, By George, I think she has something here!!!!

Bear

Bear, I haven't been to Zern's in years, I didn't know they were still around. I used to go to the car auction back in the day when "Dopey Duncan" was still around.
Do you remember the ice cold pineapple orange ladies?  They were at "the sale" as long as I could remember.

So one of you that grew up in this area as I did must have a decent BAG Balogna recipe?  I still cannot figure out the bag balogna recipe I used to have my deer made into in Moyersville?

18.jpg

They have a web site now too! 

I will check with my butcher, for years and years they did deer butchering during the season, they just gave it up a couple of years ago. I know they did all kinds of processing.  I also have a high school friend who does deer butchering and processing.  Should be able to come up with something. Was it like a summer bologna?   

I will check with my butcher, for years and years they did deer butchering during the season, they just gave it up a couple of years ago. I know they did all kinds of processing.  I also have a high school friend who does deer butchering and processing.  Should be able to come up with something. Was it like a summer bologna?   
Almost like a sweet lebanon stuffed in a canvas type bag, about 5 pounds each.  Made with deer... smoked freakin hard.  Stuff was great, but we never made it ourselves as it was polish and dairy beef we worked with, so never had a recipe.  Deer butcher would know if they had a smokehouse as part of the operation.

Almost like a sweet lebanon stuffed in a canvas type bag, about 5 pounds each.  Made with deer... smoked freakin hard.  Stuff was great, but we never made it ourselves as it was polish and dairy beef we worked with, so never had a recipe.  Deer butcher would know if they had a smokehouse as part of the operation.
Same here, we never made any ourselves, and there are so many butchers around here that make great bag bologna that their recipes are total secrets.

Bear

I love scrapple has anyone tried puddin? I wonder if that would be good? I loke it on a sweet potato with yellow mustard and raw onion.. Oh yes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky