• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much does chamber size matter?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hi-Road

Newbie
Joined
Sep 25, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Cape Cod, MA
I've recently built a 4x4x7 cold smoke shed (it's actually an outhouse but no commode) and attached a 3 L Magnum Smokai cold smoke generator. Previously I had been using a converted wine barrel laid on it's side on a wheelbarrow frame with a 1 L Smokai. I do a salt and spice blend in the barrel with 6 hours of Pecan smoke and it comes out perfect every time; just enough smoke, a little fruity, a little sweet...people clamor for it. I haven't done my salt in the big guy yet.

I did smoke a batch of mulling spices in the big one, 5 hours of Apple smoke, which smelled great but when I mulled some wine it was un-drinkably smokey. I'm thinking that the oils on the cinnamon, anise, and cloves, etc. really took up the smoke but what I don't know is how much the chamber size affects smoke uptake. I've got my salt recipe down pat in the little guy and I'd like to up my production (from 3 cases per smoke to 20 or so) but I don't want the flavor profile to change. Will there be a difference smoking for 6 hours in 8 cubic feet versus 112 cubic feet or is most of the difference in the smokee rather than the smoker?
 
...
Will there be a difference smoking for 6 hours in 8 cubic feet versus 112 cubic feet or is most of the difference in the smokee rather than the smoker?
Yes there is a difference. I'm thinking you're using too much smoke. Thin blue smoke is the goal.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky