Petrohan - Bulgarian Dry Cured Sausage "FAIL"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Ok guys, I pretty much failed at my attempt to make Bulgarian Dry Cured Sausage known as Petrohan. The recipe is pretty simple basic except for one spice i had never heard of. It called for using Summer Savory spice.
This is what I found when researching the spice: ( Summer savory resembles both sage and thyme in its flavor profile and is similar to both of them in terms of its pungency. All three herbs come with a strong flavor that can easily dominate the taste of a dish if you aren’t careful. If you have never used summer savory before, start with a modest amount and increase to taste.
I guess i should of backed off some on the amount because although my sausage looks good to the eye, this batch has been declared "doggie treats". I mean it tasted good but way to pugnent(strong) for my taste...... maybe it will mellow out in the next week or so but for now ......Lesson learned. The recipe I used is below. Please feel free to comment and let me know if anyone here has used this spice and what you have to say about it. Thanks.

HT

Petrohan
5 lbs pork
10 lbs venison
3 tsp cure #2
170 g kosher salt
40 g sugar
30 g Summer Savory spice (1oz)
7.5 g cayenne pepper(3tsp)
18 g paprika
15 g black pepper
11 g cumin
6 g granulated garlic

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1301.JPG

I mixed all the ingredients together with a cup ice water and hand folded/mixed into the meat. Stuffed into size 26 hog casing, hung 6 hrs at room temperature 70* and let the casing dry on the surface then cold smoked at 50 degrees for 6 hours. I then weighed about 6 of the links and recorded the green weight. I was looking for about 40% Wt loss. which I obtained after 2 weeks and a couple days of hanging in the shop 50-70 degrees 60-70% humidity inside the shop. I will also add I did not have a fan blowing on them but did have a small fan on low pointed away just to have some minimal air circulation. I feel if I cut the savory spice back 1/2 as much it would be acceptable to my taste. Your thoughts please.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear ya didn't care for it Al, thats always a bummer.
I know you said summer savory, but any chance it was winter savory that you used, winter is much a more intense flavor then summer. Just asking.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Yes, savory is a very strong herb. 30g/6810g seems high to me. That's 4.41g/Kg.

One thing I have learned making dry cured sausages over the past year is to remember that the drying will intensify flavors since you are concentrating the spices through the removal of water. I would reduce the amount to .5g/Kg. or less.
Using the spice guide len len Poli's site, 1 tsp. summer savory is about 1.5 grams.....so just over 2 tsp. summer savory for a 15# batch would be plenty IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, savory is a very strong herb. 30g/6810g seems high to me. That's 4.41g/Kg.

One thing I have learned making dry cured sausages over the past year is to remember that the drying will intensify flavors since you are concentrating the spices through the removal of water. I would reduce the amount to .5g/Kg. or less.
Using the spice guide len len Poli's site, 1 tsp. summer savory is about 1.5 grams.....so just over 2 tsp. summer savory for a 15# batch would be plenty IMO.
indaswamp that's is exactly what I was thinking too. I may try another very small batch as a test run. Thank you.

I got Nuttin' to add here. These are the guys I would go to...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky