Pet owners worst responsibility

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry to hear this, Christian. My sympathy.

We have suffered through letting go of nearly a dozen pets (all dogs) and none were easy. But my worst is yet to come. Rowdy, our rescue Springer, won my heart the day we met him. I dreed the day what he crosses the rainbow bridge.

Sorry to read about losing a family member.
Only had 1 cat for my family life with my children (now adults). Wife not a dog person so she picked up a 2 yo cat from friends. Well, guess who she bonded with as THE human? Yeah, me.
We left her with care takers while on vacation. On return everyone else was greeted with purring and scenting (rubbing). How was I greeted? Hissing for at least a week!

17 years later and Kitty was not in quality of life. We had her put down shortly after Easter last year. Wife couldn't be there so it was again her human choice, me.
Tough, but for the best when quality of life is not there.

• Sad
Reactions: negolien
I really struggled to respond to this as I know the feeling all too well. It's always so difficult to make the decision especially after so many years together, but when that time comes I know it's the right thing to do no matter how bad it makes us feel. For all of the love and devotion my dogs bring to my house, I owe it to them.

Hold her tight, pet her, and let her feel the love that a hug brings and just believe you will be together again on the other side.

It is said that time heals all wounds, but I believe that time just makes all wounds more tolerable.

I am sad for you, Christian...

When I had to put down my Molly (14 year old Lab, best friend, and hunting partner) the biggest mistake I made was not being with her when the time came for the vet to end her suffering.. I was a complete mess and not thinking straight. I should have been with her in the end. . .My biiggest regret to this day.

I really understand what you are going through,

John

Very sorry to hear that, it's one of the roughest things to have to do, and I know the time is coming for me. My best girl and constant companion got sick last month, and the vet initially thought it was food poisoning and prescribed meds. Within a few days, her belly started swelling, and I took her back. Turns out its heart failure, and she had 12-13 lbs of fluid in her abdomen. With heart meds and diuretics, she's feeling much better, back to her old self almost. "She could get a week, she could get a year". All I know is that I'm going to be a mess when the time comes. Best wishes and my condolences.

1.jpg

Reactions: negolien
Very sorry to hear that, it's one of the roughest things to have to do, and I know the time is coming for me. My best girl and constant companion got sick last month, and the vet initially thought it was food poisoning and prescribed meds. Within a few days, her belly started swelling, and I took her back. Turns out its heart failure, and she had 12-13 lbs of fluid in her abdomen. With heart meds and diuretics, she's feeling much better, back to her old self almost. "She could get a week, she could get a year". All I know is that I'm going to be a mess when the time comes. Best wishes and my condolences.

View attachment 627280

So sorry to hear that. Yes, Knowing they are sick and waiting to "pick the time" is the worst imho. It's much easier if they are in crisis. Mouse has bounced back some today which of course makes it worse /shrug. I have been lavishing tuna and canned food on her though she's not eating a lot at one sitting. I also have spent a lot more time just giving her pets and loving on her. I took a nap from 8 am to 2 today with her under teh covers curled up next to me. I just didn't want it to end :<(. I took some more pictures so I could have some as I don't really have any thanks to the digital age and a new computer. I wish I had kept more. I need to have a dedicated removable hard drive for stuff like that. I long for the days of hard cop pictures a lot.

Sadly COVID made it hard to be with pets at the end. I know a couple of K9 handlers that were unable to be with their Buddies at the end due to covid mandates.. It's really disgusted me but /shrug that's a different topic. I also think I have found another smokin buddy at work O.o.. I feed a feral and I looked over last night to see this little trash panda washing the hard food I had put out LOL...

Thanks for all the posts and shared experiences. This is one of the things that makes Smoking Meats a community and not just a forum.
trash panda.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky