Pescaterian help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Newark on Trent, United Kingdom.
Hi guys. been a long time. My new partner happens to be pescaterian. You old guys who remember me can stop laughing now. LOL. I can smoke fish but was stumped as to how to add smoke flavour to veg.. Like a pot of pinto beans without bacon or pork. So thought about smoking salt. Never had to think about it before. Was thinking course sea salt. So hot smoked? Cold smoked? Doesn't matter? Or it won't work? All ideas appreciated.
Danny

Hi guys. been a long time. My new partner happens to be pescaterian. You old guys who remember me can stop laughing now. LOL. I can smoke fish but was stumped as to how to add smoke flavour to veg.. Like a pot of pinto beans without bacon or pork. So thought about smoking salt. Never had to think about it before. Was thinking course sea salt. So hot smoked? Cold smoked? Doesn't matter? Or it won't work? All ideas appreciated.
Danny
Sorry Danny but I'm a Baptist myself 🤣

Sorry again couldn't help it.
I've never smoked salt but have seen videos of it and I'm sure someone here has done it. And my soon-to-be daughter-in-law does not eat bacon 😮
Told my son that she may not be a good fit for our family lol
I would think experimenting with different rubs would help.
Good luck in your quest for flavor.

No idea what a pescaterian is but you can warm or cold smoke salt. Just spread it out on a sheet. It's good stuff. You can also smoke other spices with great success. Just an opinion from another Baptist lol

Reactions: 912smoker
If I’m pressure cooking beans or using the stovetop I’ll add smoked paprika to give it a bit of flavor. The best way to add smoked flavor would be to cook the beans in the smoker. For veggies you could try using smoked butter.

Don't know you nor would I laugh.
I tried the vegetarian kick myself many years ago just for the experience.
Today, I have a wife and daughter with both real (and imagined) food allergies to work around.

I "smoke" mac n cheese or baked beans in the pellet grill (pooper) or Weber kettle.
I still prefer the core of the smokiness come from the addition of bacon or ham.
Maybe you can smoke the cheese for mac n or a brick of saiten to add to a pot of beans.

Smoked salts are nice, but you really need to over salt the food (in my taste) to get a flavor.

I second the smoked paprika as a little adds a good flavor.

Smoked and dried tomatoes really adds a flavor kicker to foods, even foods you wouldn't normally add tomato such as mac n cheese.
Be sparing. It only takes 2 or 3 pieces to amp the flavor.

Reactions: Ringer and jcam222
Smoked paprika and salt will help for sure. I’d also consider smoking components for things like the beans. For example smoke onions and peppers perhaps even tomatoes and then add those to the dishes you smoke. Perhaps even smoke some pans of frozen veggie broth. Put it frozen on a rack over a pan to catch it. Freeze smaller portions when done to use as needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky