Perhaps off topic but hunters are dying from eating meat taken from deer with CHD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Field and stream magazine put out an article stating that two hunters who consumed meat harvested from a buck with chronic wasting disease have died.
Apparantly it's a thing.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well it's not a proven thing yet, although it is possible, folks in my hunting circle scoff at the possibility of it due to the time it has been around, bad thing no good method to test humans that are still alive to see if they have any of the misfolded prions. may have been a lot more that have died and ruled as old age ect.. when it gets to my hunting area I will be done, I enjoy eating what I shoot and don't Identify as a trophy hunter. I really don't want to shoot a deer just to cut the horns off and let the yotes eat. Tn is trying to slow down the spread of it but it is a losing battle. maybe some day they might find a fix or not.

As much as I like Deer hunting , the is it worth it side of me decided ,,, that it wasn't worth it .
Last deer I shot was stumbling through the woods . Flipping his head up and down . I thought he had been shot so I finished him off .
Never found any bullet but mine . I took the head to have it tested and he had CWD .
So maybe watching his actions helped me decide . I tossed the meat and that was that .
Just a personal choice .

As much as I like Deer hunting , the is it worth it side of me decided ,,, that it wasn't worth it .
Last deer I shot was stumbling through the woods . Flipping his head up and down . I thought he had been shot so I finished him off .
Never found any bullet but mine . I took the head to have it tested and he had CWD .
So maybe watching his actions helped me decide . I tossed the meat and that was that .
Just a personal choice .
You did that deer a favor.

Field and stream magazine put out an article stating that two hunters who consumed meat harvested from a buck with chronic wasting disease have died.
Apparantly it's a thing.

Well it's not a proven thing yet, although it is possible, folks in my hunting circle scoff at the possibility of it due to the time it has been around, bad thing no good method to test humans that are still alive to see if they have any of the misfolded prions. may have been a lot more that have died and ruled as old age ect.. when it gets to my hunting area I will be done, I enjoy eating what I shoot and don't Identify as a trophy hunter. I really don't want to shoot a deer just to cut the horns off and let the yotes eat. Tn is trying to slow down the spread of it but it is a losing battle. maybe some day they might find a fix or not.
Id assume there is a way to test the two who died post mortem??

Just a personal choice .
I don't blame you. I tossed things plenty of times erring on the side of safety.

Reactions: DEERMAKER
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky