Peppered Salmon, Our Christmas Tradition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies

She Who Must Be Obeyed loves salmon. Recognizing the wisdom of pleasing the woman you love, we have it for Christmas dinner.

It starts with brining the salmon in a brine made of:

• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
  • 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar firmly packed
  • 75 ml (1/3 cup) salt
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh ginger minced
  • 3 dried bay leaves
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) whole allspice crushed
You heat it all until the sugar is melted, cool it and put the salmon in it overnight.

Rinse the salmon off and dry it with a paper towel. Rub the salmon with a couple of tablespoons of honey. Then press in peppercorns that have soaked in hot water for 15 minutes.

Put the salmon on small sheets of foil.

I used my Louisiana Grills pellet smoker with apple pellets preheated to 200 F.

Cook for 2 hours.

The Verdict

This salmon is not a light flaky salmon. It is denser and heavily salted and flavoured like smoked salmon. The peppercorns add a great flavour to the meat.

I brush most of the peppercorns off when I eat this but She Who Must Be Obeyed happily crunches on most of them.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how someone who says they don’t like very spicy food eats peppercorns?

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Disco

Just beautiful Disco. I bet the wife was pretty ecstatic when you brought that salmon to the table.

Point for sure.
Chris

Just beautiful Disco. I bet the wife was pretty ecstatic when you brought that salmon to the table.

Point for sure.
Chris
Thanks, Chris. Any time I make salmon my status goes up! I need all the help I can get!

Don't know, but I would eat the heck out of that. To-do list again. Thanks Disco...
That is very kind! If your to do list is anything like mine, it keeps growing faster than I can cook. I counted it the other day and it is over 200!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky