Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3rivers smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
I'm new to smoking, just wondering how do yall store your pellets? I'm using 5 gallon buckets. They hold a 20lb bag and write on the lid what type is in the bucket using a sharpie

Here is what I use. It can hold 60 lbs each. They also have a gasket seal.

Attachments

• 20210326_164934.jpg
    20210326_164934.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: OldSmoke
Buckets good.
When I move south, I will be better on storing my pellets in closed buckets due to humidity.
Now I don't care and leave most in open bags

Anything water proof and air tight will work...JJ

Reactions: bigfurmn
5 gallon buckets work great... make life easier and get you some screw on lids and leave the pellets in the bags inside.

Reactions: eaglewing
Buckets, make sure the lid has the rubber seal inside it. And I too have bought the screw on lids from HomeDepot,

Reactions: 3rivers smoke
Buckets, make sure the lid has the rubber seal inside it. And I too have bought the screw on lids from HomeDepot,

Didn't know they had screw on lids. Thanks

When I had my Traeger I did what you did. 5 gallon Home Depot buckets just labeled with tape. I even would leave them outside and never had an issue

I use containers with gasketed lids like meskc meskc . The clear box makes it easy to see when to get more. I bake the pellets in the oven first to dry out and the gaskets keep them dry during storage. I toss in a desiccant package as well.

Scoop your pellets out, don't pour. Pour and you'll pour the pellet dust in your hopper... keep that dust in the bottom using a scoop

Buckets work.

Don't pay for them, if possible.

Go to McDonald's and ask if you can have their empty pickle Buckets and lids.

Food grade, never was turned down when i asked.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have always used plastic kitty litter buckets with the flip up lids already attached.

They work great and are usually free. I posted an ad on Craig's list and was overwhelmed with donations.

John
I picked up more sugar beet seed pails to start storing my pellets. Similar to the kitty litter with a flip lid. Just need to wash them out for the pesticides residue.

I'm new to smoking, just wondering how do yall store your pellets? I'm using 5 gallon buckets. They hold a 20lb bag and write on the lid what type is in the bucket using a sharpie

Below is how I've been storing my Pellets & my Sawdust, for 11 years, and a couple jugs are 10 years old, and I never had a problem due to humidity.
And it rains up here nearly every freaking day!!
Screw-top caps don't allow moisture to get in!

Bear
DSC01239.jpeg

Reactions: howea
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky