Pellet Tube in Propane Grill - Bad Aftertaste

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alex208

Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Newbie here so go easy on me. Currently I'm living in an apartment with restrictions on the types of grills we can use. I can have a propane grill but no charcoal grills or smokers. I got approval to use a pellet tube in my propane grill (similar to the one in the picture below) to add some smokiness to the foods I'm grilling.

The other day I grilled some chicken on the lowest setting. After it got some initial searing over direct heat I moved the chicken to the top rack of the grill to let it finish cooking slower. The chicken definitely absorbed the smoke but I'm getting this bad lingering wood/ash aftertaste. I was hoping you could help me pinpoint the problem.

The propane grill has no top vent (it only has a hole on each side at the bottom) so I'm guessing that the smoke/creosote is accumulating at the top. Maybe I should have left the meat on the lower grates and cooked with indirect heat (leaving only 1 or 2 burners on) instead of placing them on the top rack? Maybe I'm getting too much smoke? I used the Traeger hickory pellets in the tube if that matters. Also I placed the tube over a double layer of heavy duty foil so the flames below didn't make it burn.. it just smokes on its own. Does anyone else use this method?

pel2.jpg

I would move the chicken to one side of the lit grill, then the tube smoker on the other, unlit, side, still on top of the grill (not on the higher shelf). The smoke will permeate sufficiently but not overbear or cause the creosote effect. If it goes out, you can elevate the height of the grill top with a piece of 2"x2" or similar to allow more air into the chamber.

Does it matter that the chicken was marinated? I'm wondering if the wet marinade would cause the creosote to stick vs dry rubbing.

I agree with wbf610 try apple, cherry or even pear if you can get it.
Just curious as to what temps you were aiming for and what type of skin crispness you were expecting.

Good luck!

r2

Maybe you had too much smoke coming out of the tube smoker? If so, fill the tube 1/2 full of pellets.

Last edited:
I agree with wbf610 try apple, cherry or even pear if you can get it.
Just curious as to what temps you were aiming for and what type of skin crispness you were expecting.

Good luck!

r2

The temp with the grill cover on was around 350 degrees. I was roasting the chicken rather than slow cooking. I added the smoke tube in there just to add some flavor. The pellets burn on their own with no influence from the flames. Does the temperature matter?

Chicken will take on smoke rather quickly. Using a milder wood as stated above will help. Also you may not want to have the tube running the whole time, since your smoking in a confined area. Another option would be a chunk of wood sitting on a piece of tinfoil over the burner might work better. Just put the chicken on when the wood starts to smolder.

Chris

How long was your smoking time as other have suggested try different woods and possibly prop the lid open to get a better draft. Not saying creosote isn’t a problem but it’s usually a bitter taste followed by numbness of the lips in bad cases don’t give up I uses a similar method when I grill.

Thanks everyone. I'll make the adjustments you suggested and try again. I think the total cook time was about 45 minutes or so on the grill. The burners were all running on low.. I had the chicken on the grates until they seared/charred slightly and then I moved them to the upper shelf and kept the burners going on low.. temp was at around 350 degrees. I took them off the grill when I got an internal temp of about 170 to 175.

This time I'll microwave the pellets to remove any moisture that would cause bad smoke and I'll prop the lid open about an inch or two for better airflow. I was looking into the Lumber Jack Fruitwood Apple/Cherry mix.. might pick some of that up to try.

When I marinate meats, I rinse under cold water then dry with paper towels, so it doesn't have a wet surface for the smoke to stick to, to make acid rain... After the smoke, sauces can be added to the meat again...
I find wet meat doesn't grill too well.. the meat gets steamed...

When I marinate meats, I rinse under cold water then dry with paper towels, so it doesn't have a wet surface for the smoke to stick to, to make acid rain... After the smoke, sauces can be added to the meat again...
I find wet meat doesn't grill too well.. the meat gets steamed...

How about if I start the smoke a little later in the cooking process when the meat has taken a light sear and the marinade has dried a little? Wouldn't that kinda be the consistency of dry rub at that point?

Here's another question... Since I'm using a propane gas grill and not a traditional smoker.. (Smoke is being produced on its own in the pellet tube) does the temperature matter? Should the temp be set lower while the chicken is taking on the smoke or can I continue to cook at 350 degrees?

Lower, much lower.. You don't want the fat melting while you are adding smoke..
So smoke for a while at lower temps then stop the smoke and raise the temps to finish? Remember, this is not a full on smoking type of cooking I'm talking about. I'm just BBQing chicken and want to give it some flavor without having to cook for several hours.

Hi Alex,
I do occasionally grill chicken. In fact, I think it is one of the first basics, next to Hamburgers and Hot Dogs, for grilling.
Something I've been doing with mine is to put what I want smoked (wife doesn't like smoked) in my smoker for, oh, 45 minutes to an hour. No heat, just cold smoke.
Then, I put mine in our hot Air Fryer per the usual, and it comes out done and crispy skinned, with a nice smoke flavor.

So maybe try that. Try laying out the chicken you'd like smokey flavored (or all) on the grill cold, then smoke it with your tube. No heat. You can pick it up at intervals, and sniff test it. See if it smells smokey enough. If it does, pull the tube off to stop the smoke, then BBQ as you would normally. Including sauce if you like (I do).
It's a 1, 2 approach I use to get my smoke fix, and finish a different way.

When my pipe burner is going, any smoke produced typically goes out the back and up the neighbors noses. So trying to smoke with it burning is kind of futile for me.
Also, I run cooler temperatures, around 250- 325 when it's about done. Because there's little steam left to cool the chamber under the hood.
Slow cookin, Take your time, Enjoy. ;)

Reactions: Alex208
You can use wood chunks to smoke on a gas grill.. you can add chunks of wood in foil with holes punched in with a fork. Lay the chunk on one burner , use 1 or 2 chunks in foil during an hour. Foil keeps the chunks from burning fast.
You don't need to use pellets in the gas grill during your hot cooking..

Reactions: Alex208
I smoke chickens on a regular basis.
I always fire up the propane rig for awhile before putting the chicken in to get the temps stable.
I put my wood chunks in early before the chicken.
I do this to get to TBS before adding the fowl.
I like the skin crisp so I run at around 350.
Usually takes about 45 minutes for a medium size chicken.
If you run at lower temps the skin will be rubbery, some folks like it that way.
Hit me up if you have more questions.
I can't do brisket,
But I can slam a chicken!

r2

Reactions: SonnyE
I smoke chickens on a regular basis.
I always fire up the propane rig for awhile before putting the chicken in to get the temps stable.
I put my wood chunks in early before the chicken.
I do this to get to TBS before adding the fowl.
I like the skin crisp so I run at around 350.
Usually takes about 45 minutes for a medium size chicken.
If you run at lower temps the skin will be rubbery, some folks like it that way.
Hit me up if you have more questions.
I can't do brisket,
But I can slam a chicken!

r2

Love your buddies in your Avatar!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky