Pellet storage safety

Discussion in 'Info and Practices' started by zerowin, Mar 10, 2018.

1. I know this won't be to the scale most members here need to worry about, but for pellet stove users or those who store a ton or more, possibly so. I have half a skid of heating pellets in my basement that need to be relocated at the very least.

This link addresses a few casualties in Europe even in private homes due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Apparently it's a known issue where pellets are produced and other saw mills, though I've never heard of it.

Knowing there are almost no regulations in place to govern pellet production, specifically about aging them, it's something to keep in mind if you store a good amount of pellets in a small enclosed space.
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Happened to a friend of mine. He used to store his home heating pellets in the basement until the Carbon detector went off. Now they're stored in a shed. I store mine in my garage.
  3. I searched through 9 pages of "carbon monoxide" results here on the forums and found no mention of it. Is it well known?
  4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

I've known for about 6+ years. Remember we're not talking about a bag of pellets from Todd. We talking storing a ton or more pellet's in your basement.

5. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I never knew that but I stored between one & two tons of pellets in my garage for a few years, because it would have been too much of a PITA to carry them down to the basement. Plenty of air out their.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. Mine have relocated to my mud room but I was still shocked to read about it.
  7. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It's a very interesting article
    Only 2 documented cases so far, and none in the U.S.
    I'll pass this on to my pellet suppliers and see what kind of response I get
    Let's see what the industry has for information on carbon monoxide produced when storing pellets