Pellet storage, live and learn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
I've been storing pellets in food grade 5 gallon pails with screw on lids, with an O ring. Sitting in the non insulated shed, never an issue. Today I was committed to cooking and it was raining all day. I set up the easy up tent and used pails at each corner to prevent the tent from blowing away. I made sure the lids were screwed on securely. They got rained on, now I have 80 pounds of ruined pellets. Live and learn, off to Costco for 40 pound bags.

There was standing water on top of the pails, but they screw on, and have O rings. They were screwed on tight, so I suppose I expected too much. $27 for 80 pounds of pellets at Costco, all is not lost. If I were still buying Traeger pellets at a dollar a pound I'd be more upset.

i use wood pellets for heating my home in winter i buy them by the ton in 40 lb bags
andi have gotten several bags that have turned to sawdust when i bought them , i think the problem is condensation because it even happens in unopened heavy plastic bags

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky