Pellet Grill Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chapper

Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Superior, Wisconsin
I’m looking to purchase a pellet grill due to frustration with temperature swings on my Masterbuilt propane smoker. I’ve done a lot of modifications to the smoker that were suggested in various forums to help with temp swings; however, I still feel like I have to constantly babysit the smoker. I’ve done mostly ribs and fatties, but would like to try other smokes. It seems like a pellet grill will be a much better option due to the convenience and ability to hold a constant temperature.

I’m looking at a budget of $500-$700. I’ve been doing some research and just looking for some advice, since I have no experience with pellet grills. Of course, I want to get the best grill for my budget. I’m mainly debating between Camp Chef, Green Mountain and I’m also considering Pit Boss due to the price. Camp Chef it seems like ash and pellet hopper cleanout are huge selling points – in addition, the Magnum has a slide and grill feature, which would be beneficial . Green Mountain has the Wifi feature. PitBoss is priced below my budget and also has a grill option.

Any thoughts regarding reliability, build, etc. would help. The grills I’m considering are:

Camp Chef Magnum or Camp Chef PG24S

Green Mountain - Daniel Boone WiFi enabled

Pit Boss Classic 700 sq. in. Wood Fired Pellet Grill w/ Flame Broiler

I think all of those are great entry level pellet grills and you can't go wrong with any of them. From my experience, though, I don't think the hopper clean out is that big a deal and wouldn't base my decision on that. Don't over think it, just pick one and go with it. After a few months you'll figure out what's important to you and what isn't and that information will be way more valuable in selecting your next cooker than the marketing materials.

I've had a Pit Boss 700 for a little over two years, and am quite happy with it. Had some issues early on that the vendor was quick to resolve.

I agree with the previous comment regarding ash cleanout. The only thing you'll be able to "quick" clean out is the fire pot itself, any my experience is that if the pot needs to be cleaned, so does the rest of the inside of the smoker.

Reactions: RCAlan
Thanks so much for the input. You're right, I've been overthinking this. I think I decided on the Camp Chef PG24DLX. I read a lot of reviews on this grill and it seems like it would be a good start-up smoker. I can get one on Amazon for $500 + free shipping. I plan on keeping my gas grill, so I'll use that for any searing.... A quick question - does the type of pellets matter? At our local Menards store - I can get a 40lb bag of Pit Boss Competition blend pellets for $15.

A quick question - does the type of pellets matter?

Brand doesn't matter much, but the composition does. For me, the only pellets that give enough flavor are 100% hickory. Many of the pellets out there are a blend of different woods, often will a more neutral flavor wood making up the majority of the blend. Try the Pit Boss and if you're not getting enough flavor, try a 100% hickory bag. Several companies make 100% flavor wood pellets.

At our local Menards store - I can get a 40lb bag of Pit Boss Competition blend pellets for $15.

I see you're in WI, so you can probably find both LumberJack and Smoke Ring locally for as good or better price. And both of those company's make 100% flavorwood pellets as well as blends.

I've done a ton of research and finally decided on a Rec Tec. It appears that on the value for money scale their smokers seem to be the best.

Good choice thats what I wanted but billfold said otherwise lol

Thanks so much for the input. You're right, I've been overthinking this. I think I decided on the Camp Chef PG24DLX. I read a lot of reviews on this grill and it seems like it would be a good start-up smoker. I can get one on Amazon for $500 + free shipping. I plan on keeping my gas grill, so I'll use that for any searing.... A quick question - does the type of pellets matter? At our local Menards store - I can get a 40lb bag of Pit Boss Competition blend pellets for $15.
I really like my Camp Chef. The ash dump is pretty handy, but I still vacuum out the grill every few cooks as ash also gets around the bottom. The pellet dump is also handy.

I mostly use the Camp Chef pellets, but today I'm using Green Mountain (fruitwood blend). They were on sale at the store I go to (which was out of the Camp Chef) and smell wonderful.

I would recommend a smoke tube. I didn't feel I was getting the full "smoking" experience and flavor - when I added that - it really made a difference.

Good luck!

I just got one of the new GMG Daniel Boone Prime WIFI units on Saturday. So far I have smoked chicken quarters and a couple of racks of ribs on it, and so far it has worked fantastically. The ribs were the best I have ever made.

Reactions: texomakid
For the first couple of cooks I just tried out the GMG Gold Blend. I see that you like Smoke Ring. Do you recommend a particular flavor? I typically like a stronger smoke flavor in my meat. I don't think the Gold Blend is going to be strong enough to suit me. I would appreciate any input on this subject.

I personally like MBC Maple, Beach & Cherry. You might like the blend OHC Oak, Hickory & Cherry or just Oak or Hickory Straight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky