Pellet cookers can sear!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BKING!

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Talbott TN
Done indirect on the Mak 1 star. Gotta say that grill grates do work. Notice the browning between the sear marks too. The holes and valleys create a lot of infrared heat and radiant heat that browns the meat just an inch below the meat compared to just the heat deflector which is several inches away. Much more intense. Love these things!

Now compare.
1st pic is pellet smoker with grill grates
2nd pic is charcoal
3rd pick is smoked then pan seared

Which looks best? Pellet tasted the best imo

Attachments

• 07AD26FC-FE0B-4911-836B-178CB2B57226.jpeg
    07AD26FC-FE0B-4911-836B-178CB2B57226.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 70A4C7F3-F3E0-4C93-ADCC-2166FD780EF3.jpeg
    70A4C7F3-F3E0-4C93-ADCC-2166FD780EF3.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 51
  • CF78F1DF-60E4-4910-AD2F-17439EA7D1B2.jpeg
    CF78F1DF-60E4-4910-AD2F-17439EA7D1B2.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
You can honestly see that it cooked more even. The color is closer together with the char marks as opposed to pic number 2 where it just looks like grill marks. If that makes since at all. Anyways, great job. Im still getting used to seeing you cooking on a pellet grill :)

You can honestly see that it cooked more even. The color is closer together with the char marks as opposed to pic number 2 where it just looks like grill marks. If that makes since at all. Anyways, great job. Im still getting used to seeing you cooking on a pellet grill :)

I love it! The smoke flavor on this Mak is outstanding.

Im gonna have to check into it. I was lookin at the REc Tec that BD has. I know your one to do your homework so it must be a good cooker

Im gonna have to check into it. I was lookin at the REc Tec that BD has. I know your one to do your homework so it must be a good cooker

I think that Mak, Memphis, cookshack, and Yoder are the best higher end cookers. Which one you choose from that list is just preference really. Mak is the best smoker imo, Memphis excels at searing/grilling., cookshack and Yoder are good at both. Yoder is heavier gauge steel but uses painted carbon steel that can rust. Mak uses painted aluminized steel which will not rust even if the paint peels and is 304 gauge stainless everywhere else. Memphis and cookshack is all 304 gauge stainless.

For a midrange cooker you can’t beat RecTec and in my opinion the only option I’d consider at that price range. You get so much for your money from the igniter, materials used, fit and finish, controller, warranty, etc.

For low end pellet units I’d save up longer and get a RecTec. I fear that people that get anything less will not truly appreciate what a pellet cooker can do. Rec tecs can get over 500 deg and you saw what 475 deg and grill grates can do for a steak on my Mak.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky