• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pellet Brand Recommendations?

shawnmaloney01

Fire Starter
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 24, 2013
I am switching and just bought a RecTec 700 pellet smoker.
What does everyone recommend for brand of pellet?

Thanks!

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
Before I ditched my Traeger I ran only Traeger brand pellets. Which I got hardly any flavor form. Which was the reason I put it up for sale. The. After taking advice from other forum members. I tried Lumberjack 100% hickory I believe it was. And it almost made me keep my Traeger but it had already been replaced. Tons of flavor couldn’t have been happier except the fact that the Traeger was already replaced and it had to go haha.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
the most recommended I have seen here is LumberJack. I am switching over soon as i run out of rec Tec pellets - which I have enjoyed quite a bit, but LJs are a far better buy.

SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth what did you replace your Trager with?

shawnmaloney01 shawnmaloney01 what kind of grill are you using?

shawnmaloney01

Fire Starter
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 24, 2013
Before I ditched my Traeger I ran only Traeger brand pellets. Which I got hardly any flavor form. Which was the reason I put it up for sale. The. After taking advice from other forum members. I tried Lumberjack 100% hickory I believe it was. And it almost made me keep my Traeger but it had already been replaced. Tons of flavor couldn’t have been happier except the fact that the Traeger was already replaced and it had to go haha.
Thank you, will check out Lumberjack

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
I haven't used LJ pellets but I do really like the Bear Mountain pellets. They've also been doing a BOGO through their site lately.

shawnmaloney01

Fire Starter
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 24, 2013
I haven't used LJ pellets but I do really like the Bear Mountain pellets. They've also been doing a BOGO through their site lately.
Thanks, I heard of them as well and was wondering if any good, saw mixed reviews

shawnmaloney01

Fire Starter
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 24, 2013
I found three different pellets called lumber jack and the packaging looks different, they look like different companies. Which is the real one haha, the recommended one?
Pics attached

Attachments

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Looks like they tried to gentrify their logo a bit. 1st and third pic are the new logo; the middle one is the one most are familiar with. All the same company and product.
I've had good luck with Pit Boss straight from Walmart. Tend to use the 40pound Comp brand in my pellet hopper and use hickory or mesquite for standalone pans and tubes. I've had several bags of Traegers and have always been disappointed with them.
I've never tried Lumberjack although they're sure getting rave reviews here...gonna' hafta' give 'em a try.

SmokinGame

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 11, 2018
So far I like the Bear Mountain pellets a little bit more than LJ. But I would use either. I am always running an A-MAZE-N tube.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Lumber Jack, Bear Mountain, Pellet Head, and Green Mountain Gold. These are all pure flavor wood and give great flavor.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I tried a bag of the Kingsford hickory and was impressed with the amount of smoke they produced, caught them at a decent price , bought 10 bags last year discounted and the smoke was way less, not sure what changed but they were much better

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.